The Build and Finished Product
See, even I can learn! I opened the front of the chassis before I did any internal wiring, good thing too. As you can see both the front I/O connectivity as well as the fan wiring needs to be loose to get the bezel off and out of your way for drive or additional fan installations.
With the drive in place, a few screws added and the bezel back on the case, we are ready to close up the door and have a look around the rest of the build.
Inside room is at a premium. While there are ample management options for the build, I found it more convenient to wire some things internally. Since there isn't a window on this chassis, no one but us will know! For those with longer GPUs that power on the end of the card, you may have an issue.
Our last look behind the Define R3 shows that it took all of the hardware I threw at it and still has a cool white stripe pattern playing against the GTX 460s. It's really a shame, this side is almost good enough to show it off as well and too bad most people will not give this a second look.
I did manage to fit the 8-pin EPS through the hole at the top and wire it behind the board along with all of the front I/O wiring except the audio cable. In fact it was so short it almost didn't make the connection cleanly.
All packed up and ready for testing is how we now see the Define R3 Black Pearl, just waiting for me to add the cord and power things up.
Once the Define R3 gets powered up I had to really pay attention at first. I saw the blue LED light up, followed by the beep of the motherboard speaker, but then nothing! I was sure something was wrong, but alas it was just that this case is just that silent in operation as it ships. Both fans offer good flow and they were able to deliver good results and not be heard until I was within a foot of the chassis.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [Fractal Design Define R3 USB 3.0 Black Pearl Mid-Tower Chassis]
- Page 5 [Inside the Define R3 Black Pearl]
- Page 6 [Inside the Define R3 Black Pearl Continued]
- Page 7 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 8 [The Build and Finished Product]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SAPPHIRE announces 'Mining Edition' Radeon RX cards
- Huawei Honor 9 is now available in Europe
- Vivo first with fingerprint sensor under mobile display
- AMD Vega-based Radeon Pro WX 9100 spotted with 16GB HBM2
- Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy requires 23GB HDD on PS4
- Intel Optane in RAID 0 - World's Fastest System Disk
- GIGABYTE Z270X-Designare Motherboard Review
- Intel SSD 5 545s 512GB SATA III SSD Review
- Patriot Viper V570 RGB Laser Gaming Mouse Review
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller