The Build and Finished Product
See, even I can learn! I opened the front of the chassis before I did any internal wiring, good thing too. As you can see both the front I/O connectivity as well as the fan wiring needs to be loose to get the bezel off and out of your way for drive or additional fan installations.
With the drive in place, a few screws added and the bezel back on the case, we are ready to close up the door and have a look around the rest of the build.
Inside room is at a premium. While there are ample management options for the build, I found it more convenient to wire some things internally. Since there isn't a window on this chassis, no one but us will know! For those with longer GPUs that power on the end of the card, you may have an issue.
Our last look behind the Define R3 shows that it took all of the hardware I threw at it and still has a cool white stripe pattern playing against the GTX 460s. It's really a shame, this side is almost good enough to show it off as well and too bad most people will not give this a second look.
I did manage to fit the 8-pin EPS through the hole at the top and wire it behind the board along with all of the front I/O wiring except the audio cable. In fact it was so short it almost didn't make the connection cleanly.
All packed up and ready for testing is how we now see the Define R3 Black Pearl, just waiting for me to add the cord and power things up.
Once the Define R3 gets powered up I had to really pay attention at first. I saw the blue LED light up, followed by the beep of the motherboard speaker, but then nothing! I was sure something was wrong, but alas it was just that this case is just that silent in operation as it ships. Both fans offer good flow and they were able to deliver good results and not be heard until I was within a foot of the chassis.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [Fractal Design Define R3 USB 3.0 Black Pearl Mid-Tower Chassis]
- Page 5 [Inside the Define R3 Black Pearl]
- Page 6 [Inside the Define R3 Black Pearl Continued]
- Page 7 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 8 [The Build and Finished Product]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- First look at how Musk's underground tunnels might work
- Overwatch is now home to over 30 million gamers
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- Capcom's 2016 financials outline company's future
- G1 Sniper 2 rev 1.0 wont boot with GtX 1070
- H97M Pro4 - Machine comes out of sleep mode when deactivated but monitor does not
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives