Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are lower than that of the SilverStone Strider Gold 1200W, we will only be able to test it to 1000W.
Let's start by taking a look at the voltages to see how well this unit did during testing. Starting with the 12V rail, we see 2% regulation from start to finish. The 12V rail showed a total drop of .18V from start to finish. The 5V rail didn't quite fair as well as it only managed to stay within 4% of specification with a total drop of .20V from start to finish. Moving towards the 3.3V rail, we see that regulation was back within 2% with a total voltage drop of .06V.
DC output quality was close to what we expected from the unit. Our past experiences with SilverStone PSU's have shown this is one of their weakest points. While they are always very far from falling out of specification, they are far from being leaders of the pack here as well.
We started off seeing 23mV of ripple on the 12V rail during Test 1. As we increased the loads, the ripple had increased to 34mV at just under half load. By the time we had the maximum 1000W allowed by our test equipment, we were seeing 54mV of noise.
The Strider Gold Evolution is rated for 80Plus Gold efficiency. This means that the power supply must perform at 87%/90%/87% efficiency at 20%/50%/100% loads respectively. As you can see, the Strider Gold Evolution passed on our bench. Things were a little close at 50% load, but was a pass nonetheless.
The SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution is good power supply in many aspects. It performs well all the way around although not fantastic in any one particular category. SilverStone promised us from the start that this unit would be "The golden standard for PSU performance, efficiency, and quality," so we were expecting gold from start to finish. The included fan filter and the top notch tech support started things off very well but it just wasn't enough to convince us this is the best all around power supply on the market.
The SilverStone Strider Gold 1200W is very good at everything it does but other products on the market are just as good. The Corsair AX1200 that we looked at a few months ago is an equal performer and in many cases costs less. The $229.99 price at Directron though is the spoiler though and puts the Strider Gold 1200W in a better price position. Still the DC output quality on the AX1200 is a bit better and so is the seven year warranty.
The SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution isn't all that revolutionary in this highly contested market, but it is SilverStone's attempt at closing the gap between themselves and the competition. The new $229.99 price point makes it attractive though and you wouldn't be disappointed with the purchase.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
- SilverStone alerted us of some changes we might required to our review. We have applied some updates from the first version.
Latest News Posts
- Need for Speed coming to PC in March, 4K and unlocked framerate
- Telsa's new 'Summon' feature parks, and retrieves your Model S vehicle
- Square Enix online store celebrates 15 years with a Super Sale
- Gabe Newell gave away HTC Vive Pre's like Santa Claus at Unity event
- LG unveils the touch-enabled Quick Cover for its unannounced G5 phone
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Debug 62
- Asrock z97e-itx/ac Bifurcation Support
- Intel Compute Stick "2" STK1AW32SC 2GB Windows 10 Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance