It has been quite a while since we have taken a look at any of the power supplies that SilverStone offers and we have missed a few of their offerings. The last time we took a look at one of their units was back in 2010 when we reviewed the ST50F-P which we were quite pleased with.
That is why we jumped at the offer to take a look at their new Strider Gold Evolution power supply. The new unit is available in four flavors ranging between 750W to 1200W. SilverStone claims that the Strider Gold Evolution series is "the golden standard for PSU performance, efficiency and quality", so we will be taking this into consideration as we look into the 1200-watt unit.
Specifications, Availability and Pricing
Right from the start you will notice the massive 100A single 12V rail. The unit is capable of outputting 100% of the power on the 12V rail which is no small task to do. Both the 3.3V and 5V rails are rated for 25A each with a combined total wattage of 150W. The one thing that caught our interest the most, though, was the very weak -12V rail, which is rated for only 3.6W. On the flip side, the 5VSB rail is also a little stronger that what we are used to seeing, as it is capable of 3.5A or 17.5W.
One of the first things that will come to mind when someone claims their product is the "golden standard" is that it will have all the features. Unfortunately when we take a look at the feature summary for the Strider Gold Evolution, we find that it is lacking a 50C power rating. It is worth noting though that the unit is rated for 100% continuous output at 40C. Everything else you would expect is there as all the cables are fully sleeved, the unit is fully modular and comes with all the protections you could want.
The unit has an MSRP of $249.99, but is currently in stock at Directron for $229.99. The Directron price is the lowest we've seen to date, most other e-tail sellers list the Strider Gold Evolution 1200W for MSRP or higher, including Newegg.
We couldn't find the warranty information in our included documentation or on SilverStone's website, but Newegg listed a three year warranty. We wanted to find out directly from SilverStone so we called their tech support line.
We were very pleased with what happened as the phone was answered not only on the first ring but it was answered by a real person...and we aren't talking overseas support either. The support rep quickly answered our question and confirmed the three year warranty. Kudos to SilverStone for the awesome tech support!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
- SilverStone alerted us of some changes we might required to our review. We have applied some updates from the first version.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Blizzard will show more from 'Overwatch' on Thursday
- Region coding removed from UltraHD Blu-ray spec
- We've seen it all - there are now SSD water blocks
- Black Ops 3 campaign lets you fast-forward right to the end
- Nexus 6P and 5X unboxing videos surface
- Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Fans are always at 100%
- ASRock Fatal1ty x99x killer not booting up
- H97M - Gaming 3 stuck at "Entering setup
- Cougar 550M Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- Can't overclock i7-5775C
- Giada Brightens up GITEX 2015 with Ultimate Digital Signage Mini PCs and Server
- Shuttle Announces the XS35V5 and XS36V5 Small Form Factor Computers
- Lexar Also Announces Professional 3600x and 3500x CFast 2.0 Cards
- Lexar Introduces New Professional 2933x XQD 2.0 Card
- Lexar Also Announces the 128GB Variant of Professional 2000x SDXC UHS-II Card