Moving onto the board we've got that similar design we've seen from most of Sapphire boards in the past with the black PCB and dark blue highlights throughout the board. One thing that really stands out here, though, is the inclusion of a fan over the X79 chipset, something we've seen companies do with this chipset, but not all.
Moving in a bit closer to the board we can see what's going on with the PCIe setup which consists of only PCIe x16 slots. Of course not all are running at x16, instead we've only got slots 1, 3 and 4 while the others are wired to only x8. When I heard that Sapphire was offering six PCIe x16 slots I thought we'd be able to use four video cards in Quad SLI / CrossFireX. Unfortunately that's not possible due to the layout of the slots.
It's worth remembering that while all the slots are laid out in an x16 format, PCIe x1, x4 and x8 cards can be installed in all the slots. Moving to an all x16 layout really gives us more options when it comes to the expansion slots, which is only a good thing. The only thing lacking is a legacy PCI slot, but it's something I wish more and more companies would start to ignore.
Moving to the bottom of the board you can see on the left we've got a debug meter with a COM port next to that, CMOS reset button and next to that we've got easy to access reset and power button. Moving over a little more we've got a little switch that lets us choose between one of the two BIOS chips available followed up with two USB 2.0 headers, a single USB 3.0 header and our main front panel header.
Turning the corner we've got a total of eight SATA ports on offer with the left four black ones being SATA II running off the X79 chip and the four red ones being SATA III. The two closest to the black ones also run off the X79 chip while the extra two run off the Marvell 88SE9128 controller.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- New writers board 'Gran Turismo' feature film
- 'Lethal Weapon' series reloads for TV
- AMD's dual Fiji chip spotted as Radeon R9 Gemini, is this the Fury X2?
- Aware of 'let's play' videos? Here's every single one summarized
- This Grand Theft Auto IV hyper-realistic mod is better than real life
- Project Core XD
- ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ No video first boot
- Hi I Really Need Advice as to Where I Can Find Genuine Asmedia Drivers?
- Samsung FIT MUF-64BB 64GB USB 3.0 Pico Flash Drive Review
- Why will my video card not work?
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog