In the time between testing and our review Synology released a new beta version of their DiskStation Manager Software. The new version, 4.0 retains the software's ease of use organization and brings in new functionality. New features include cloud data and improvements to how portable devices based on Android and iOS. Even before the new update, the DS212 was very easy to configure and use with other devices.
When it comes to data transfer performance I have to admit my surprise to the 100+ MB/s performance from this small dual bay NAS. The DS212 must have not been told that it wasn't a four or five bay NAS because it runs with the larger units as far as speed goes.
There are some draw backs though with a dual bay NAS. The first is the ability to store massive amounts of data. If you want your data safe in a redundant array you are limited to the largest capacity hard drives on the market. At this time that means 4TB. For many users 4TB is more than they need and that is the type of user the DS212 is built for.
The DS212 also costs much less than the larger drive units. Using Google Product Search we managed to find the DS212 for just over $300 without drives. This is a bit higher than some of the very low cost dual disk NAS appliances, but the very low cost products are not built with the same quality or deliver the same 100+ MB/s data transfer performance.
Overall the DS212 is a very good NAS, one that was designed without flaws. Synology made a checklist of every option, every feature and excellent build quality and achieved a mark inside each box.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- LG announces X300, an entry-level smartphone
- Valve's future games might beam directly into your brain
- Gabe Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's best single-player game
- Resident Evil 7 will enjoy free DLC chapter post-launch
- Gabe on Half-Life 3: 'the number 3 must not be said'
- bios update
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99