As usual, we won't go into too much detail on the testbed as everything is fairly well covered in the above image. What's not present there will be shown in the graphs when we start testing. So with that said, let's just get stuck straight into the overclocking side of things to see just how the X79 Extreme4 handled our Intel i7 3960X.
In typical fashion we'll head straight to the BCLK and bump that up to 125 after we've adjusted our voltages and hopefully get into Windows with no problem. Getting into Windows with no problems at all, we head back into the BIOS and start to mess around with our Multiplier.
We ended up getting around the 4.8GHz mark, but we'd see the system shut down while we did an encode under MediaEspresso. We worked our way back and at around 4.6GHz we continued to have a similar problem.
What we did was go back into the BIOS and change the focus from a higher BCLK and lower multiplier to a lower BCLK and higher multiplier. In the end you can see we finished up with our BCLK at 105 and our multiplier came in at 45x.
As you can see above, this brings are CPU speed in at 4.72GHz which is higher than it was doing when we opted for the lower BCLK but higher multiplier. Considering the price point, this is a pretty impressive overclock and it should bring with it a decent performance increase.
Let's get started!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Creative teams with Twitch on level up race in WoW
- Nintendo NX prototype was a tablet and docking station
- CD Projekt RED now worth over $1 billion
- Choose a side in our 'Captain America' Blu-ray giveaway
- UK retailer offers HTC Vive headset on monthly payments
- ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 not posting - error 69, 72, ......
- Memory Slot Issue - Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
- Asrock EP2C602-4L/D16 memory question?
- were is the 1394 label
- GB's z170x G7's audio compared to G1's
- HyperX introduces new ALLOY gaming keyboard
- ADATA launches the ultimate SU800SATA 6Gb/s 3D NAND SSD
- CAPE Audio shakes up the headphone industry with the release of Rebellion Headphones
- Tesoro announces ambidextrous, White Sharur SE Spectrum gaming mouse
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop