With a price tag of around $300 US, the Intel DX79SI isn't a cheap board with cheaper X79 offerings coming in from as low as $219.99 US. There's nothing wrong with the DX79SI, but there's nothing that really makes it stand out that much, especially when you compare it to companies like ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI and ASRock who offer us a really wide range of boards at different price points.
SATA ports are minimal due to the lack of an extra controller being present; the I/O side of things is just quite bare, period. To run SLI or CrossFire you need to run the cards in the first two PCIe x16 slots for them to run at x16 / x16. With a third slot on offer, though, it feels so pointless running two dual slots cards sandwiched together. The other option is to move it to the end, but then you're moving it to an x8 wired slot.
The BIOS is fine in the sense that we've got a lot of options on offer and it's fairly easy to navigate, but it's got nothing on companies who have really been fine tuning the UEFI BIOS over the past 12 months.
On the plus side of things, the dual Intel Gigabit networking is nice; the color scheme of the board is also good. The bundle isn't too bad with the Bluetooth / WiFi module included, albeit not in ours today. The 3 Year warranty on the board is also really nice.
The issue is that these aren't really enough for us to go, "I'd pick this over an equivalent option from someone else". At this price point you can pick up the MSI X79A-GD65 or ASUS P9X79. An extra $30 US, though, will get you the PRO variant of the ASUS board or even a GIGABYTE X79A-UD5.
The Intel DX79SI isn't a bad motherboard, but amongst the cut throat industry that is motherboards, it doesn't stand out against boards from the companies we've already mentioned. Unless you needed to have an Intel board, we'd probably suggest you look at some of the other feature packed offerings from companies like ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI and ASRock.
The final issue is that the board just seems hard to find - it's not listed at Newegg, Frys or Tiger Direct. With so many other options available to these companies, it's probably not a huge surprise, though.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- How Fallout 4's perk system might work
- The fully-optioned Tesla Model X electric SUV costs a huge $143,750
- Toshiba announces 12.5' Satellite Radius 12 2-in-1 convertible laptop
- Halo 5 opening cinematic teases a bunch of stuff you can't do in-game
- The new Nexus 5 will feature 1080p display, 6-core CPU and USB Type-C
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SanDisk Connect Stick 64GB Wireless Flash Drive Review
- GA-EP45-UD3R doesn't boot with Dual Channel (After Clean PC)
- carvedilol 3.125 mg information. Purchase online.
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015