Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are greater than that of the Kingwin Stryker STR-500 500W PSU, we can test it to the maximum.
Kingwin has made quite a name for itself lately and as such, we expected great things coming from the Stryker 500W unit. It certainly didn't disappoint and we saw good results right from the start. Voltage regulation wasn't as spectacular as we have seen in the past, but is still excellent with both the 12V and 3.3V rails being within 2% and the 5V rail barely edging into the 3% territory.
The noise that was seen on the 12V rail was spectacular from start to finish and was almost impossible to see on the oscilloscope until we got to 100% load. During the first test, we measure a maximum of 9mV peak to peak on the 12V rail. When we increased the loads during Test 2, we saw this creep up just a tiny bit to 11mV. We were hoping for the same negligible increase when we moved to the full load test, but that didn't quite happen. Instead we saw the noise increase to 25mV which is still a very acceptable amount of noise to see.
Finally, we have the efficiency of the Kingwin Stryker 500W. As the unit is an 80Plus Platinum rated unit, we expected to see efficiency readings of 90%, 92%, and 89% at 20%, 50%, and 100% loads respectively. The Stryker 500W blew those numbers out of the water and showed above 91% efficiency across the board.
The Kingwin STR-500 isn't a perfect power supply, but then again, we have never seen one that was. There is always something to give or take with a PSU and often it is in your pocket. At $160, it is one of the most expensive 500W units on the market, but at least you get what you pay for and it is backed by a five year warranty. Other than the price, the only real negative that the unit has going for it is the lack of Over Temperature Protection, but we didn't have any issues with the unit during testing.
Since that is all we can find to complain about, it is safe to say that Kingwin has done a great job upholding their reputation with the Stryker 500W power supply. It performs excellent in every aspect that you could ask it to. The great voltage regulation and low noise will allow for excellent system stability while the high efficiency will allow for you to cut the electric bill a little bit and save some cash. Throw in the fact that it is a silent, fanless unit that can output up to 600W with reduced efficiency and you've got one heck of a power supply.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI makes its GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X official
- StarCraft remastered announced by Blizzard
- The first sign of Kaby Lake X: the Intel Core i7-7740K
- AMD Ryzen with 12C/24T appears, excites us all so much
- AMD teases Radeon RX Vega is 'just around the corner'
- ASUS M51Vr Notebook. Long story.
- Kong: Skull Island Movie Review
- TPM issue with 970-D3P
- Extreme9 3 way crossfirex
- Kingston HyperX Savage 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse