One thing that many will notice is that there is quite the cable selection for a 500W power supply when taking a look at what the STR-500W has to offer. One thing that many will find strange is that there are four PCI-E connectors, but you have to remember that this is an under-rated unit capable of 600W.
All of the peripheral connectors are modular and come in the form of three cables; one for SATA, one for Molex + FDD and one mixed SATA/Molex cable. These three cables combined offer six SATA connectors, five Molex and one FDD.
One thing worth noting is that the modular cables are of the ribbon variety and aren't sleeved. The native cables are sleeved, but not fully. While the sleeving does extend all the way inside the power supply, it stops a few inches short of the connectors.
Rail distribution is kept simple with a single 12V rail.
A Look Inside
Removing the heatsink of the STR-500 proved to be rather difficult due to the TIM used between the heatsinks. As you can see from above, there are more heatsinks on the inside, so this beast is filled with passive cooling inside and out.
Checking out the primary side, we find a single Nippon Chemi-con capacitor.
Moving on towards the secondary side, we find several Nippon Chemi-con capacitors present. There is no fan to take a look at since this is a passively cooled unit.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft testing Gears of War 4 PC, console crossplay
- Final Fantasy XV ships five million units in first day
- SSD costs expected to rise by 6-10% in early 2017
- Playdead drops Inside game demo free via Steam site
- Small patch for No Man's Sky incoming
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ADATA SV620 480GB Portable SSD Review
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset
- Tesoro opens new product line with the release of its Zone Balance gaming chair