Earlier in the year OCZ Technology announced their plans to acquire Indilinx, the company responsible for bringing some of the first real consumer friendly (i.e. low cost) SSDs to market in 2009. The first fruit from that tree has hit our lab and it sports a new controller from Indilinx and a new era for OCZ. OCZ is now in a unique position, no longer just another RAM turned SSD cloner, but a fully fledged member of the small club that steers technology rather than just rides along. In our next State of Solid State, my annual Q4 editorial that speculates on the year to come based on a little fact and a lot of rumor, we'll go into what Indilinx brings to OCZ's table. Today, though, we're going to focus on the new Octane SSD and what it brings to your table.
Indilinx's new controller has a code name of 'Everest' and aside from a sliver of information once published on Indilinx's website, little was known about this controller. In late 2009 and most of 2010 we caught bits and pieces of information about Jet Stream, another SATA III design from Indilinx. OCZ tells us Jet Stream is still on the road map, but didn't go into great detail. It's very clear that Jet Stream has now been leap frogged and Everest was chosen to bring Indilinx into the SATA III age.
For most of us Everest came out of nowhere. Other than the OCZ acquisition, Indilinx was a company flying under the radar, but the Everest release so close to the acquisition tells us that Indilinx was working hard and focusing like a laser on this release.
Next month we'll talk about what Indilinx brings to OCZ, but today let's focus on what OCZ brings to Indilinx. OCZ has the ability to quickly ramp up production and bring products to market very quickly. This has been proven with the Vertex 2 and Vertex 3; OCZ lead SandForce's charge to market, guns blazing. OCZ also brings superior software that allows users to easily flash firmware from within the operating system. The same Toolbox software suite allows OCZ users to run secure erase commands easily, also from inside the operating system. Toolbox has already been updated to support Octane and after our flawless tests a new firmware was released to reviewers. OCZ is the market leader in ease of use software for SSDs.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The OCZ Octane 512GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Iconic Nokia 3310 is now official and comes with Snake
- LG G6 is official with Snapdragon 821 and 18:9 display
- Intel scrambles, emails tech media over Ryzen reviews
- Qualcomm Snapdragon X50: supporting 2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G
- Shadow of Mordor sequel leaked
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- LG unveils new G6 with a large fullvision display tailored to fit in one hand
- Introducing LG XPower2 with high capacity battery designed for demanding users
- Enjoy incredible performance of AMD RYZEN with BIOSTAR X370GT5 motherboard
- COLORFUL introduces iGameGTX1080 X-TOP-8G Advanced video card
- Team Group introduces its fastest SSD for gamers with T-FORCE CARDEA M.2 SSD