Power Draw Tests
With a 130w TDP on the processor, it comes as no surprise that the power draw on the new X79 platform is high. Its idle is really high, but you can see the power that's on offer here today. The 2600k is a really efficient processor when it comes to power draw, but you can see in real world situations the new 3960X is able to outperform the 2600k at 5.2GHz which draws identical idle numbers, but 10% more power at load.
If you look at power draw on the 3960X and the 2600k and then look at something like 3DMark 11, the number seems extremely high. If you look at the power draw of the 3960X and the 2600k when it's at 5.2GHz and then look at benchmarks like CINEBENCH and MediaEspresso, the numbers look great. It just really depends on what you intend to do with your system.
The associated heat numbers probably line up with the power numbers. The 3960X is a warm running CPU. Again, though, it has a 130W TDP, so this doesn't come as much of a surprise. At 4.99GHz it's getting pretty warm, though; warmer than we'd want from a "running it every day" perspective.
The heat numbers are probably what's going to stop people from running around the 5GHz mark on a daily basis and instead just use it for benchmarking. The liquid cooling solution from Intel I think is going to be a popular one after looking at these numbers here. Especially considering the fact we're already on a closed circuit liquid cooling solution via the Corsair H100.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Path of Exile launches August 24 on Xbox One
- Mass Effect: Andromeda singleplayer is dead
- Nintendo should have big Switch stockpile for holidays
- Flash shortage may last throughout 2018
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild looks GLORIOUS in 1080p 60FPS
- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Movie Review
- Looking for Lian Li PC-C37 pdf manual as links from Lian Li website are broken
- Aerocool Project 7 P7-C1 Pro Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless Gaming Router Review
- corsair vengeance lpx 16gb ddr4-2400 problem on asus x370 pro motherboard
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower
- Longsys' world-first 11.5x13mm NVMe BGA SSD drives new mobile user experience
- Thermaltake attends NVIDIA Gamer Connect
- ASRock introduces the X10 IoT router for smart homes