Power Draw Tests
With a 130w TDP on the processor, it comes as no surprise that the power draw on the new X79 platform is high. Its idle is really high, but you can see the power that's on offer here today. The 2600k is a really efficient processor when it comes to power draw, but you can see in real world situations the new 3960X is able to outperform the 2600k at 5.2GHz which draws identical idle numbers, but 10% more power at load.
If you look at power draw on the 3960X and the 2600k and then look at something like 3DMark 11, the number seems extremely high. If you look at the power draw of the 3960X and the 2600k when it's at 5.2GHz and then look at benchmarks like CINEBENCH and MediaEspresso, the numbers look great. It just really depends on what you intend to do with your system.
The associated heat numbers probably line up with the power numbers. The 3960X is a warm running CPU. Again, though, it has a 130W TDP, so this doesn't come as much of a surprise. At 4.99GHz it's getting pretty warm, though; warmer than we'd want from a "running it every day" perspective.
The heat numbers are probably what's going to stop people from running around the 5GHz mark on a daily basis and instead just use it for benchmarking. The liquid cooling solution from Intel I think is going to be a popular one after looking at these numbers here. Especially considering the fact we're already on a closed circuit liquid cooling solution via the Corsair H100.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6 might be finished as Project Scorpio launch game
- Microsoft patents foldable smartphone
- Switch is all about 'playing games anywhere with anyone'
- Gabe Newell holding Reddit AmA tomorrow
- Stock Nintendo Switch JoyConGrip won't recharge JoyCons
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- Help overclocking x5460 / GA-EP43-UD3L past 3.99ghz
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99