You can read more about TweakTown's Storage Product Testing Workstation and the procedures followed to test products in this article.
Not everything is perfect with the OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid. Just like with the RevoDrive 3 X2 we found some motherboards just don't play well with the drive. We tested a GIGABYTE X58A-UD7 and found that it was one of them. We weren't able to find any specific documents pertaining to the RevoDrive Hybrid, but the RevoDrive 3 Series has a published list of known boards with issues. Since both of the new Revo products are so similar, this should be good place to start when asking if your motherboard can support OCZ's VCA 2.0 system.
When it comes to using your RevoDrive Hybrid as intended with the OCZ VCA 2.0 array acting as the cache for the included HDD, you *MUST* install your operating system on the OCZ HDD. You can't use a different SSD or HDD for your operating system and use the RevoDrive Hybrid as a secondary drive that is cached.
For our tests today we are going to look at the RevoDrive a couple of different ways. The first is without Dataplex installed and the benchmarks ran on the HDD. This establishes a baseline of absolute lowest performance. The second set of tests are run on the SSD VCA 2.0 array without Dataplex - this represents a complete cache hit of hot data. The third set of benchmarks will be from the RevoDrive Hybrid setup as it should be.
ATTO Baseline Performance
Version and / or Patch Used: 2.34
ATTO is used by many disk manufacturers to determine the read and write speeds that will be presented to customers.
Let's establish the first baseline with just the HDD. The Toshiba 1TB hard drive is capable of delivering up to 80MB/s read and write performance.
The second test is from the VCA 2.0 array without Dataplex installed. Here we see the SSD portion of the system is able to deliver right around 1000MB/s of read performance and right around 800MB/s of write performance. This is much higher than the Intel 20GB "cache drive" and even faster than the Intel SLC E-Class drive Adaptec first used on their enterprise cache system.
To get the results you see here from the true hybrid array, we ran the test three times. This is the third result and as you can see, this test produced results between the two previous ATTO tests we've shown above.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Technical Side of the RevoDrive Hybrid]
- Page 4 [The Packaging]
- Page 5 [The OCZ Technology RevoDrive Hybrid]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Tach]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gabe Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's best single-player game
- Resident Evil 7 will enjoy free DLC chapter post-launch
- Gabe on Half-Life 3: 'the number 3 must not be said'
- Watch Dogs 2's new patch is better on RAM, and more
- Galaxy S8 rumored to cost $849, launches on March 29
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99