By now, with the name of SINXP1394, most people would have guessed that this board has Firewire support. Since the SiS963 Southbridge chipset supports a Firewire controller as standard, it would be a shame if it weren't utilized. Gigabyte has utilized this controller by the Realtek RTL8818 PHY interface controller on a daughter board. This daughter board plugs into a set of pins just above the PCI2 slot. This then enables the Firewire function of the board.
We first saw this technology applied to the SINXP1394s sister board, the 8INXP. This technology consists of a daughter board and an expansion slot. This expansion slot is located on the top of the board between the I/O ports and the CPU. This slot accommodates a riser board, which has a 3-phase power function onboard. When this card is inserted into the slot, the motherboard recognizes a 6-phase power system. Gigabyte provides an active cooling system on the extra three power connectors for maximum power efficiency. This has been added to support the upcoming 3.x GHz Pentium 4 CPUs.
Dual BIOS Technology
Like all of Gigabytes high-end motherboards, the SINXP1394 motherboard incorporates Dual BIOS technology. While most of us know what Dual BIOS is, for those who are first timers to this technology let me go into a bit of detail on this subject.
Dual BIOS works on the principle of two BIOS chips, one being the master BIOS, which can be read and written allowing for flash updates like a standard BIOS system. The second BIOS is a read only chip with a backup copy of the original shipping BIOS. Should your main BIOS either be incorrectly flashed, or infected by a virus, you can erase the main BIOS and re-flash it with the BIOS image on the backup chip. This gives servers and end users total security of the BIOS.
Overclocking options on this board are available for hardcore users, but due to the earliness of the samples, the BIOS we received did have a few limitations. Under the Frequency/Voltage Control menu are the options for your overclocking.
Your FSB can be changed from 100MHz up to 250MHz in 1MHz increments. Your VCore settings can be altered from 1.1v up to 1.775v for Northwood and from 1.3v up to 1.85v for Willamette. We did find the limit of 1.775v for Northwood constricting in overclocking. The only way to get 1.85v is to mod the CPU or to hope for a BIOS that supports 1.85v.
AGP Frequency can be set manually to the FSB. 60MHz up to 100MHz is supported. Changing the AGP frequency also alters the PCI frequency, so both are changed when the AGP is changed. You can lock them to 66/33 to keep the buses within specs.
DDR Frequency can be set from 100MHz up to 400MHz. You have eight divider options for best results. Depending of what FSB you run are the options for the dividers. The Dividers are shown in xxxMhz rather than a standard 4/5 etc like other SiS boards.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Transition between zones 'is seamless' in The Division
- NVIDIA rumored to use GDDR5X on next-gen Pascal-based GPUs
- Halo 5 requires 60GB of HDD space on Xbox One
- Allison Road abandons Kickstarter, as it has found itself a publisher
- Check out this awesome 'Back to the Future' vinyl box set
- Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta GPU Performance Overview
- ASUS ZenBook Pro - ram
- Open Hour Gecko TV Box Review
- z87 killer no display after new installation ((URGENT))
- Z170 Raid Setup Post Win7x64 Install to M.2
- Tt eSPORTS unveils the NEW CRONOS AD Premium Gaming Headset
- Kingston Announces the HyperX Cloud Mav Edition Headset
- Super Talent Releases New 128GB USB 2.0 Pico C Drives
- EK Releases Full-coverage Water Block for Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD
- ASUSTOR Launches 31 Series, Economical and Powerful 4K Multimedia NAS