Gigabyte has pulled together lately a string of great motherboards for the overclocking segment, and the SINXP1394 adds to their success. Layout of the board is almost exceptional apart from the placement of the 4-pin power connector. Color coding of the DIMM sockets for identification between the two channels is a masterpiece.
The onboard peripherals are tried and true. Silicon Image is the best Serial ATA controller on the market, simply because it isn't a Parallel to Serial solution. The ITE GigaRAID solution is the first we have seen of this chip, but our tests shows it to be on par with the Promise controller in terms of performance, but setup takes a bit extra compared to the rest of the controllers on the market.
The use of the onboard Firewire shows that Gigabyte isn't going cheap on the supplied features that come with the chipset itself. The Firewire controller provided no incompatibilities and was detected in Windows XP without any hassles and without any performance degrading.
Overclocking, while limited by some voltage limitations, was still a very good affair. We managed to run a FSB of 163MHz FSB and a max memory speed of 392MHz. Without the addition of memory voltage settings we weren't able to run the memory above 400MHz.
Dual DDR support
Hyper Threading support
Placement of the 4-pin connector
Limited memory and AGP voltage selections
Rating - 9/10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xbox Scorpio's true 4K res won't be easy for developers
- NVIDIA shows off 4K 60FPS footage of Titanfall 2 on PC
- NVIDIA's new Xavier chip is super-fast, powered by Volta
- Star Citizen boss: it's the 'best damn everything sim'
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti teased for January 2017
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premium Edition Review
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS HDD Review
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now