The Motherboard - Onboard SSD
What makes the board stand out so much compared to any other Z68 board we've looked at is the true integration of Intel Smart Response Technology or ISRT. Chris recently did an article on ISRT on this motherboard, but today we'll just take a closer look at the how the SSD is integrated in the board.
We can see it sits between the CPU socket and the first PCIe x16 slot. It's really flat and shouldn't affect any kind of heatsink. To remove it, the design is similar to that of SODIMM memory in notebooks; you use two clips and it pops up. Once in that position you can just pull it out.
With it gone, you can see the spot where it sits. While the interface is a typical mini PCIe one, it doesn't run off the PCIe lanes. Instead it runs off the SATA ones, hence the fact that one SATA port is disabled when the mSATA SSD is installed.
The SSD is an Intel 311 series 20GB MLC SATA II drive. While not big enough to be used as a standalone SSD, it's plenty big enough to be used in conjunction with a traditional mechanical hard drive via ISRT.
While we won't be testing ISRT today, if you want to find out more about it, it's worth taking the time to read our ISRT article which uses the exact same motherboard.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel Core i9-7920X: 12C/24T @ 4GHz, 140W TDP, and $1199
- AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper features next-gen packaging
- Bethesda sale: $13 Doom, cheap ESO and more
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds continues titanic growth
- Next-gen Hololens to have custom AI chip
- GIGABYTE X299 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- Comic-Con 2017 trailer round-up: MCU vs DCEU vs the rest
- graphics card not detected via riser cable
- Maximum ratio (x39) with 4,06GHz for i7 4770 on GA Z87X-UD3H?
- Supermicro SuperO Booster Software Guide
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4