Intel Smart Response Technology Explained
Intel defines Smart Response Technology as:
Intel Smart Response Technology implements storage I/O caching to provide users with faster response times like system boot and application startup. On a system with [A] traditional HDD, performance of these operations are limited by the HDD, particularly when there may be other I/O intensive background activities running simultaneously like system updates or virus scans. I/O caching accelerates system response by putting frequently used blocks of disk data on an SSD, which provides dramatically faster access to user data than an HDD. The user sees the full capacity of the HDD with the traditional single drive letter (i.e. C:) with the system responsiveness similar to an SSD.
In essence, it works like this. If you boot your computer often then the smart portion of the technology will tell the system to cache your boot up files. The first time you boot your system the files will not be cached, so startup will occur from the standard HDD. The second time you boot your system the files will be cached and startup will occur faster.
The same is true for your applications. If you run Photoshop often, the long launch sequence is stored on the SSD. Files like ISOs, music and such on the other hand are not cached on the SSD, another part of the smart side of the technology.
One issue we've observed in the lab is that all of this caching takes up space on the SSD. With Intel only releasing 20GB models, the available space tends to fill up quickly if you launch several different programs. The technology is always trying to cache your frequently used data, so what may have been cached two days ago may not be cached when you want to use it today if you've launched several other programs in between. At this time SRT is limited to just 64GB of caching space, even if you want to use a 120GB drive. The spare area is given another drive letter if you choose to use it. This can be a positive in some cases or a negative in others.
If you happen to have a 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD with a SandForce SF-1200 controller capable of reading 285MB/s and writing 275MB/s, then limiting the drive to just 64GB of capacity for the cache is a good thing. This will allow the drive to reserve the spare area for background work and keep the drive running faster than if it was filled. We believe Intel used some type of real time compression with the IO cache algorithm, but were never able to verify that claim with Intel.
To further complicate Intel Smart Response Technology, two modes are offered. The first is Enhanced Mode, a read only cache mode that uses up to 64GB of space to cache files that can be read back quickly. The second mode is Maximized Mode, a mixed read / write cache system that allows the SSD to cache system writes and later transfers the data written to the SSD to the HDD. In Maximum Mode you gain the ability to write data to the SSD so it happens quicker, but you also use space that was once reserved for reading back cached data.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Motherboards]
- Page 3 [The SSDs]
- Page 4 [Intel Smart Response Technology Explained]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage HDD Tests Scaled]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch supports remote game downloads
- Nintendo Switch left JoyCons have connection issues
- BioShock devs might be making new Twilight Zone 'game'
- A closer look at Mass Effect: Andromeda's power combos
- Digital Nintendo Switch games locked to one console
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- توكيل صيانة ثلاجة كريازى 01093055835 رقم مبيعات كري&
- صور صيانة غسالات وستنجهاوس 01060037840 % رقم مبيعات و
- اخبار صيانة غسالة فريجيدير 01095999314 اتصل الان مب&
- هنا صيانة كلفينيتور العجمى 01010916814 هوت لاين الم&
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications