When it comes to devices like the ioSafe Rugged Portable, performance comes secondary since the drive's main purpose is to keep your data safe. With that in mind, ioSafe has done a good job squeezing performance out of the 5,400 RPM drive, but we would have liked to see a 7,200 RPM drive used to get the most out of the Rugged Portable. Users looking for ultimate performance can choose the SSD option, but the price goes up quite a bit and the capacity drops at the same time.
The primary purpose of the ioSafe Rugged Portable is to keep your data safe and secure no matter where you are. At CES we shot one with a shotgun, threw it on the concrete floor as hard as we could and the unit kept on running perfectly. When I say we shot the Rugged Portable, I mean we shot the hell out of it. The same drive took several direct hits from steel shots and kept going. At that point the drive was thrown to the ground several times, all of the media in attendance took a turn and we were still unable to kill it. We finally managed to break the aluminum shield after getting out the assault rifles.
You might think all of this is excessive and it is. The Rugged Portable is about taking the most obscene abuse and still having a comfortable buffer before your data is even close to being compromised. There are drawbacks, though. The first is the weight; this drive has some heft to it. Then there is the size which is about the same as a 3.5" HDD. Finally, there is the price.
The full 1TB Rugged Portable with the 5 year warranty and data recovery service costs around 500 Dollars. This combination gives you the maximum amount of storage and the longest ultimate protection plan. I really don't think you'll ever use the data recovery service under normal circumstances, but if you actually need a Rugged Portable then there is nothing normal about your circumstances. That said, the 250GB drive is available for just 150 Dollars and uses the same rugged aluminum case, but only has one year of back end protection.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The ioSafe Rugged Portable]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tach]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- The9 pays $500 million for five-year Chinese exclusive on Cross Fire 2
- The first screenshots from the System Shock remake arrive
- AMD's new Zen APUs to deliver Xbox One/PS4 level performance in 2017
- The first gameplay footage from Far Cry Primal has arrived
- Batman: Arkham Knight PC update reduces framerate hitching
- North Bridge Frequency Locked at 4300 on Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 Board
- New SSD Connections and GA-Z87X-UD5H?
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 120L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- SanDisk Extreme 500 240GB USB 3.0 Portable SSD Review
- ID-Cooling IS-VC45 SFF CPU Cooler Review
- CYBERTRONPC OFFERS TESSERACT 15 SK NOTEBOOK, NOW WITH 6th GEN INTEL PROCESSOR AND WINDOWS 10
- HERE and the Netherlands evaluating 4G/LTE-based C-ITS road messaging system
- Sony PLAYSTATION 4 (PS4) SALES SURPASS 30.2 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE
- Samsung Starts Mass Producing Industry's First 128-GIGABYTE DDR4 Modules for Enterprise Servers
- LG RAY DELIVERS LARGE HD DISPLAY AND BEST-IN-CLASS CAMERAS FOR 3G MARKETS