Specifications, Pricing and Availability
I spent a lot of time researching military specifications, because the ioSafe Rugged Portable spec list is full of references to them. Only the government could come up with such a system. These tests can't be called, Fall from 20 Feet, nope; they have to be called MIL-STD-810 and the like. No wonder everything takes so long with the government, they have to decode everything to English first. Luckily ioSafe didn't just post the MIL spec codes and actually talks about how good their product is in the specifications.
Before we get too far along, let's look at the options and pricing. The ioSafe Rugged Portable isn't a plastic USB enclosure that can take a fall off a desk. It is a military grade enclosure that can be ran over by a tank, so you can expect to pay a bit more for it than some Buffalo plastic enclosure. The base unit with 250GB HDD and the standard 1 year warranty and 1 year Data Recovery Service costs 149.99. You can move the DRS and warranty to 3 years for 50 Dollars more or out to 5 years for 100 Dollars more. 250GB isn't a lot of space, but as I said, you can configure your Rugged Portable. With a 62 Dollar upgrade you get 500GB of capacity and for 250 Dollars you can have a full 1TB. That rounds out your options.
I dropped in a buzz phrase above, Data Recovery Service. If you somehow manage to damage your drive and it no longer works, ioSafe will pay to have your data removed from the broken disk and put on another HDD. This is for the most part the same plan they use on the popular Solo and SoloPRO models. You can think of this protecting like your backup plan. I say that because at CES this last year we were shooting ioSafe Rugged Portables with shotguns and they all survived several shots. If you really want to kill one, you have to move up to assault rifles.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The ioSafe Rugged Portable]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tach]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New photos and a shocking price of Huawei Mate 9 emerged
- Elon Musk describes his vision for colonization of Mars
- Nintendo Switch is single-screen only, says Nintendo
- Nintendo Switch gets a much-needed splash of color
- Skyrim Remaster mods limited to 1GB on PS4
- HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Independence Day Resurgence 4K Blu-ray Review
- Battlefield 1 Multiplayer Gameplay Thoughts
- GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 Resume fail after suspend with Linux
- h61m-dgs gigabyte not see DDR_A1
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards
- Eurocom launches the ultrathin 15.6' Sky M5 R2 VR Ready gaming laptop with Intel Core i7 6700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB GDDR5), 4G LTE support, 64 GB DDR4 memory, 6 TB SSD storage
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now