On the hardware side of things OCZ has put together a good package that will be able to deliver solid performance when all of the pieces are in place. We found a few short comings, though, some of which we haven't discussed yet.
The new VCA 2.0 architecture has some issues with some motherboards. A fairly good sized list is available of boards that work. This list also shows a number that do not work and as you can imagine with the massive amount of motherboards on the market, several are not listed in either category. I went through and starting plugging the RevoDrive 3 X2 in boards I had sitting around and it was hit and miss when it came to the older X58 boards even after firmware updates. My P67 and Z68 boards all worked fine which is really good news for those that buy new motherboards often. The X58 was the last real enthusiast motherboard and many users are still holding on to them until X79 shows up, me including on my own gaming system.
For the life of me I can't figure out why OCZ would choose to pair the RevoDrive 3 products with asynchronous flash. The only thing I can guess about it is that everyone over there bought into the idea that async flash only has an adverse effect on compressed data performance and no effect on how a drive performs when data is populating the drive. No matter the reason, this is the RevoDrive we have for 2011 and at least half of 2012.
The final issue is of course with TRIM. Even with async flash the RevoDrive 3 X2 480GB that we tested today is damn fast. You are going to need TRIM to keep it that way or you'll be running OCZ Tool to keep the drive running well. Microsoft, please make it happen and make it happen before Windows 8.
Even with the issues mentioned above, there are some really good uses for the RevoDrive 3 Series as they sit right now. This is a workstation product after all, so you don't need to boot from it and without TRIM you might want to keep it as a secondary drive anyhow. Doing so will allow you to keep the data and files you're working with at the time, like say an audio production or video files for splicing and editing sequences together. When you are finished with one project you can purge the data or put it back in long term storage (NAS server), clean the drive with OCZ Tool and then start on the next. This will allow you to keep the performance high while also keeping your RevoDrive 3 uncluttered.
Once TRIM or SCSI unmap is ready for prime time, nearly all the limitations are taken off the table and you are left with one very fast SSD that fits nicely into a PCIe slot and runs without wires. The performance offered is quite a bit more than you can get from a motherboard /RAID array alone and the cost is comparable when you add an add-on RAID controller like the LSI 9265 Series into the mix.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Destiny: The Taken King's raid won't be live upon release
- Save Up to 96% On August's Top 3 Deals
- Astronauts believe it's only a matter of time before man heads to Mars
- Destiny: Xur's Three of Coins exotic drop buff will be a gamble
- UK debuts its 'UK Against ISIL' social media account
- Clean install windows 10 after being an insider
- Corsair Hydro H110i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- H97 boards, graphics cards and CPUs running hotter than on Z97 boards
- New network adapter making graphics card fail.
- x99 Extreme 4/3.1 Red Light + No Display
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20