Simply put, the MSI MX440 8x is nothing more than a higher clocked GeForce 4 MX video card. The inclusion of the 8x transfer mode does nothing to help, since the card is unable to transfer the amount of polygons required for 8x operations - this feature is nothing more than a selling point for nVidia.
The upgrade to 8x transfers would have been better if a few extra features were added to the card, such as DirectX 8.1 Hardware Pixel and Vertex shader support. The core of the MX440 is based on the original GeForce 2 MX design with memory controller changes and a few extra transfer polygon improvements - you could consider it a high-powered GeForce 2 MX.
MSI however, despite the short comings of the MX440 8x core, put together a very good bundle if you are looking for something cheap with lots to play with. If you are looking for a powerful budget card, ATI's Radeon 9000 is your answer.
In all, we have not been overly impressed with nVidia's GeForce 4 MX from the start and the introduction of 8x support, which we showed provides no real world benefit - nVidia have slipped down the performance ladder in the value sector.
Good overclocking of memory and core
Great Software Bundle
Old MX440 core with little gain over original
Rating: 6 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 2 [Specifications]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 3 [Features]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Synthetics]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 5 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 6 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New 4K Xbox Scorpio targeting 6TFLOPs, 1.5 times faster than PS4K
- E3 site lists Xbox One VR category with Oculus Rift devs attached
- New 4K Xbox to support Oculus Rift VR headset
- GeIL reveals new EVO FORZA DDR4 3866MHz RAM
- Tesoro teases new IR key switches for Computex
- Asrock 3-Way 2S2S SLI Bridge Card
- Amped Wireless Athena AC2600 RTA2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Router Review
- ASRock 990FX Extreme9 IPMI Module?
- Tweak Launcher dont work with x99-sli mobo
- SanDisk X400 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- GeIL announces new EVO FORZA DDR4 hardcore gaming memory
- Tesoro to showcase new infrared key switch at Computex 2016
- Colorful introduces first custom GTX1080: Colorful iGameGTX1080 X-TOP-8G
- CybertronPC offers new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics on all desktops
- Inno3D announces new GeForce GTX 1080 video cards