For the past two years nVidia has been the leader in 3D graphics card technologies. Coming to fame with the TNT line of video cards, with 128bit interface and the largest frame buffer available of 16MB of memory, nVidia soon took the 3D crown away from the then 3DFX; producers of the Voodoo and Voodoo 2 video card, which at its peak were the only true 3D rendering cards available. Since this time, nVidia as kept ahead of ATI with their Rage line, S3 with the Savage and SiS with their 3xx line.
Recently, nVidia was beaten to the punch in obtaining the first available 8x GPU, SiS took this with the Xabre video card. This card was designed to take on the nVidia GeForce4 MX line of cards, and did it very well with 8x AGP support and adding a Hardware Pixel Shader to its GPU, something the GeForce 4 MX does not include.
While nVidia didn't consider SiS a threat to their market share, the introduction of the ATI Readon 9000 GPU saw nVidia sweating a little. ATI added 8x AGP support plus Hardware Pixel and Vertex Shaders. In turn, this allowed the ATI Readon 9000 to blaze past the GeForce 4 MX line. nVidia only recently added AGP 8x support to the MX video cards (440 and 460 only) to try and combat ATI's gain over the nVidia empire.
Like all third party nVidia manufactures, it didn't take long for companies to start producing video cards based on this chipset. Today, thanks to the folks over at MSI Australia, we have our hands on the MX440 8x from MSI.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 2 [Specifications]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 3 [Features]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Synthetics]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 5 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 6 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Pepsi launching 'Back to the Future II' bottle design
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- KitGuru editor in chief apologizes for 'inflammatory' AMD article
- Intel Battery Optimizer Android app now cleans, too
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- Be Quiet! Announces Silent Base 600 Case Series
- PNY releases the Mini-mobile HP v165w USB 2.0 Flash Drive
- The Crew WILD RUN PC CLOSED BETA WILL BE PLAYABLE FROM OCTOBER 15TH TO OCTOBER 19TH 2015
- MLG Announces Broadcast Talent for World Finals in New Orleans
- Patriot Announces New Viper 4 3600MHz Dual-Channel Memory Kit