For the past two years nVidia has been the leader in 3D graphics card technologies. Coming to fame with the TNT line of video cards, with 128bit interface and the largest frame buffer available of 16MB of memory, nVidia soon took the 3D crown away from the then 3DFX; producers of the Voodoo and Voodoo 2 video card, which at its peak were the only true 3D rendering cards available. Since this time, nVidia as kept ahead of ATI with their Rage line, S3 with the Savage and SiS with their 3xx line.
Recently, nVidia was beaten to the punch in obtaining the first available 8x GPU, SiS took this with the Xabre video card. This card was designed to take on the nVidia GeForce4 MX line of cards, and did it very well with 8x AGP support and adding a Hardware Pixel Shader to its GPU, something the GeForce 4 MX does not include.
While nVidia didn't consider SiS a threat to their market share, the introduction of the ATI Readon 9000 GPU saw nVidia sweating a little. ATI added 8x AGP support plus Hardware Pixel and Vertex Shaders. In turn, this allowed the ATI Readon 9000 to blaze past the GeForce 4 MX line. nVidia only recently added AGP 8x support to the MX video cards (440 and 460 only) to try and combat ATI's gain over the nVidia empire.
Like all third party nVidia manufactures, it didn't take long for companies to start producing video cards based on this chipset. Today, thanks to the folks over at MSI Australia, we have our hands on the MX440 8x from MSI.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 2 [Specifications]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 3 [Features]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Synthetics]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 5 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- MSI MX440 8x - Page 6 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Project CARS 2 will run upscaled res on Xbox One X
- Interview and Product Tour With Lian Li's Jameson Chen
- MSI says AMD Radeon RX Vega 'needs a lot of power'
- Titanfall 2 enjoys strong 1 million MAU count
- WB Games opens New York studio for live service support
- GA-X58A-UD3R wake on lan problem
- In Win 301 Mini-Tower Chassis Review
- Best bang for your buck: AC1900 Wireless Routers
- ADATA XPG SX8000 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- repairing rj45 port on g751j laptop
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller
- Full E3 Coliseum lineup announced