It's been ages since we've seen a TOXIC card from Sapphire and it's good to see another one finally grace us with its presence. For the most part there's really no surprises with the model; it's everything you'd expect it to be and to be honest, that's a good thing.
For the most part there are really no surprises, which means there was at least some form of surprise and that comes in the form of the Dual BIOS switch. We've seen most companies move away from the use of the Dual BIOS switch, but you can see here today that Sapphire have continued to implement it.
We figured with that in mind, we'd try and flash the card with the HD 6970 and to our surprise it worked with no dramas. Since that worked, we fired up 3DMark 11 and did a benchmark run at both P and X.
Since that was also working so well, we figured we'd take the time to fire up TriXX and see what the overclocking ability of the card is like. We ended up bringing the core up to 935MHz and the memory stayed at 5500MHz QDR.
In the end you can see a nice boost in performance as we move up with a flash and then up again with an overclock. The most important thing to remember, though, is no one can guarantee that every HD 6950 TOXIC can be flashed, and as always, it's done at your own risk.
The good thing about the HD 6950 TOXIC from Sapphire is that it manages to tick all the boxes. Performance is strong, it's got a good overclock out of the box and thanks to the Dual BIOS switch, there's that ability to flash it (albeit no one can guarantee the success).Feature wise, it's a strong card; you've got that strong connection setup on offer and a good quality cooler that handles the flash and overclock with no issues.
Finally, you've got the bundle. It's one of the stronger ones with some extra cables and like most other AMD cards at the moment, we have that Dirt 3 coupon included in the box. The only thing we don't know is the price as it's not available yet, but if the past is anything to go buy the card should come in strong.
All in all, the HD 6950 TOXIC from Sapphire is just a good iteration of the much loved HD 6950 series. There's not really much more that has to be said that hasn't been said already.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card & Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- For Honor PC requirements revealed
- Take a closer look at the Xbox One's 28nm APU die
- New images of the upcoming LG G6 leaked
- COD: Infinite Warfare - best-selling game of 2016 in US
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni