It's not uncommon to pay a bit more for an ASUS Video Card when compared to some of the competition and at $366.99 US after rebate at the moment it's one of the more expensive HD 6970s on the market. Out of the box, FPS for FPS it performs in line with any other HD 6970 that carries with it the reference clock speeds.
Performance of the card on an FPS side of things is only part of the picture. What makes the card stand out so much is the DirectCU II cooler. Sure, it takes up three slots, but it's such a small price to pay for anyone interested in having a card that is able to output loads of power at low noise levels.
The appeal over it when compared to the GTX 580 as well from ASUS which comes in a DirectCU II version is the fact that this card comes in a lot cheaper than the NVIDIA offering. Depending on what you want to spend, you can get a triple slot DCU II cooled card at a wide range of budgets as you start to hit the upper bracket of cards.
Of course, if you want to spend slightly less and don't need the power that's on offer from the HD 6970, you always have the option to move to the DirectCU II version of the HD 6950.
ASUS ultimately have just created a great cooler and made it a feature on these high end models from both NVIDIA and AMD. The main thing you need to answer now is, can you handle the card taking up three slots?
The thing is, it's not even really that, but more so whether or not you can handle the card taking up an extra slot, because we know that any high end card is going to take up two slots as it is. While going CrossFire might be a little difficult depending on the board you've got, in single form most people will probably find themselves happy to sacrifice another slot for the card. Especially as we see great onboard components these days.
All in all, we've just got another great version of the HD 6970 and another great model that sits in the DirectCU II series. What we ultimately see the HD 6970 DirectCU II do is let us know that you don't have to sacrifice your ear drums or immense heat for the cost of raw GPU power.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card & Specification]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6's 'compelling' story will focus on Master Chief
- AMD Radeon RX Vega bundled with Quake Champions
- Nintendo won't be at E3 2017
- AI to replace over 50% of ALL jobs in the next 10 years
- Acer Predator X27 gaming monitor: 4K, 144Hz, HDR, G-Sync
- Cutting LED-Strips - LED50RGB-2
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives