The ABIT BX133 RAID is another one of ABit's BX motherboard creations for the socket 370 platform for Pentium 3 Coppermine, Intel Celeron Coppermine and Intel Celeron. This motherboards layout is a cross between the BM6 and the BE6. ABIT have used the same tricks of the trade with the BX133 as they have done with the BF6 and BE6, use the same PCB as the BM6 only change what you have to.
ABIT have elected to go with the 5/1/1 (PCI/ISA/AGP) configuration similar to all of their BX motherboards with intergraded ATA controllers onboard, we saw this in the BE6, BE6-2 and BE6-2 revision 2. It is unknown to us why ABIT do not supply the 6th PCI slot, it maybe to try and avoid conflicting hardware. We saw on the KT7-RAID 6 PCI with the onboard ATA-100 controller but then again this was a different chipset on that board.
As we can see form the picture, you can see the missing PCI slot indicating that this same PCB design can accommodate a 6th PCI slot, maybe ABIT will add one if the future. This is not really a big loss as there is enough room for all your expansion needs. The AGP slot is only 2x, as the BX chipset does not support AGP4x transfers. While the BX chipset can run at 133MHz the AGP also lacks the ½ AGP divider so running the BX chipset at 133MHz requires you to overclock the AGP card well out of specifications. If you want to test if your video card can handle the speed try setting the the FSB to 87Mhz FSB and leave the AGP divider at 1/1. If the system can run benchmarks and other software then it will most likely survive the 133Mhz FSB at 2/3.
The BX133 RAID's socket layout is well above average. There are no capacitors, resistors or voltage regulators to get in the way of using oversized coolers such are Thermaltake Orbs or Alpha coolers. We tested all out large coolers on this board and we still were able to get pencil space between the capacitors and the heatsink, a fantastic job here ABIT. On the BX133 RAID, ABIT elected not to put the heatsink and fan on the chipset as we saw on the KT7 RAID motherboard but have replaced the small green heatsink with a much larger version of the ones traditionally used. This comes in handy when you want to push the VIO into the 3.7 and 3.8v ranges. The power connector once again have been placed in a sensible position in the top corner, this allows for you to keep all those power cables away from the CPU to which intern amounts to better cooling. 3 fan headers are provided onboard, 2 near the CPU socket and one down the bottom near the front for a front case fan. The Winboard chip handles thermal monitoring and system management tasks. CPU temperatures are taken from the on-die thermal probe built into all socket 370 CPU. ABIT provide a thermal cable so you can hook it up to the onboard thermal header to monitor another preferable such as the AGP chipset or any other hot spot.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Samsung offers iPhone users $200 if they switch to a new Galaxy phone
- CryEngine 3 used for interior rendering demo, and it looks amazing
- iPhone 6S to feature upgraded 4K-capable rear-facing camera, and more
- Star Citizen's social module launches alongside v1.2 patch
- Razer launches new Nabu smartband wearable during PAX Prime
- Adam Elements iKlips iOS Lightning / USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20