The ABIT BX133 RAID is another one of ABit's BX motherboard creations for the socket 370 platform for Pentium 3 Coppermine, Intel Celeron Coppermine and Intel Celeron. This motherboards layout is a cross between the BM6 and the BE6. ABIT have used the same tricks of the trade with the BX133 as they have done with the BF6 and BE6, use the same PCB as the BM6 only change what you have to.
ABIT have elected to go with the 5/1/1 (PCI/ISA/AGP) configuration similar to all of their BX motherboards with intergraded ATA controllers onboard, we saw this in the BE6, BE6-2 and BE6-2 revision 2. It is unknown to us why ABIT do not supply the 6th PCI slot, it maybe to try and avoid conflicting hardware. We saw on the KT7-RAID 6 PCI with the onboard ATA-100 controller but then again this was a different chipset on that board.
As we can see form the picture, you can see the missing PCI slot indicating that this same PCB design can accommodate a 6th PCI slot, maybe ABIT will add one if the future. This is not really a big loss as there is enough room for all your expansion needs. The AGP slot is only 2x, as the BX chipset does not support AGP4x transfers. While the BX chipset can run at 133MHz the AGP also lacks the ½ AGP divider so running the BX chipset at 133MHz requires you to overclock the AGP card well out of specifications. If you want to test if your video card can handle the speed try setting the the FSB to 87Mhz FSB and leave the AGP divider at 1/1. If the system can run benchmarks and other software then it will most likely survive the 133Mhz FSB at 2/3.
The BX133 RAID's socket layout is well above average. There are no capacitors, resistors or voltage regulators to get in the way of using oversized coolers such are Thermaltake Orbs or Alpha coolers. We tested all out large coolers on this board and we still were able to get pencil space between the capacitors and the heatsink, a fantastic job here ABIT. On the BX133 RAID, ABIT elected not to put the heatsink and fan on the chipset as we saw on the KT7 RAID motherboard but have replaced the small green heatsink with a much larger version of the ones traditionally used. This comes in handy when you want to push the VIO into the 3.7 and 3.8v ranges. The power connector once again have been placed in a sensible position in the top corner, this allows for you to keep all those power cables away from the CPU to which intern amounts to better cooling. 3 fan headers are provided onboard, 2 near the CPU socket and one down the bottom near the front for a front case fan. The Winboard chip handles thermal monitoring and system management tasks. CPU temperatures are taken from the on-die thermal probe built into all socket 370 CPU. ABIT provide a thermal cable so you can hook it up to the onboard thermal header to monitor another preferable such as the AGP chipset or any other hot spot.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dishonored 2 lets you play as Corvo or Emily, has dynamic endings
- New Watch Dogs 2 lead character reportedly leaked
- YouTube testing clean Material design
- Twitter stock falls to all-time low
- The Rock's alarm clock app inspires you to get up in the morning
- x5450 on ep43-s3l overclock help
- Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P | Intermittent Boot Failure & USB Crashes in Windows 10
- LaCie P9227 Porsche Design Mobile Drive 4TB USB C Review
- Asus F2A85-M won't go into BIOS
- I bought a new open box assus laptop but the sound does not work, help.
- Colorful to showcase new products at COMPUTEX 2016
- Global e-channel expanded by 23% in Q1-2016 according to Icecat
- The PGL KeSPA Regional Minor Championship: Asia to debut this Thursday; full schedule revealed
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience