We are now able to find out what kind of power is being used by our test system and the associated graphics cards installed. Keep in mind; it tests the complete system (minus LCD monitor, which is plugged directly into an AC wall socket).
Power draw with the X58A-OC is pretty good considering everything that it has going on. Even with all of the power connectors populated we saw much more efficient use of power than on many other boards. It looks like with better components you get better power efficiency.
As a new measure, we are now monitoring the heat generation from the key components on the motherboard; this being the Northbridge, Southbridge (if it contains one) as well as the Mosfets around the CPU. The results are recorded at idle and load during the power consumption tests.
The temperatures are not bad at all either. I really would have expected them to be higher, but again the higher quality components some into play here.
The GIGABYTE X58A-OC is a board meant for overclocking. It has some issues, though. We were not able to get as high of a clock as we hoped and even then we did not see all of the performance numbers we expected. 3DMark11 performed great, but the PCMark Vantage scores were not there. This was due to the issue that we saw with our SSD and the SATA controller on this board. We have not been able to sort this issue out yet, but have a feeling that GIGABYTE will have a fix for this in the near future.
Still, even with those items it is obvious that they put a lot of thought into the design and component selection. You would not be making a bad decision if you picked one up. After all, there are benchmarks, tests, and scores that do not care about drive speed or at the very least do not care about the differences between IDE mode and AHCI. When you add in the $380 price tag things still look pretty good.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Google eyeing off massive new complex in San Jose
- World of Tanks running on Xbox One X at 4K
- Uber CEO resigns after months of controversy
- LA Noire might get remastered with first-person, VR mode
- Lenovo teases notebook with flexible display
- Best bang for your buck: AC1900 Wireless Routers
- ADATA XPG SX8000 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- repairing rj45 port on g751j laptop
- Lenovo ThinkStation P910 Workstation PC Review
- Ethereum mining @ 1GH/s: 40 x GPUs = $5000 per month
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller
- Full E3 Coliseum lineup announced