While we still find ourselves waiting for the Bulldozer CPU from AMD, we can start to have some fun with part of the platform that will make up the Bulldozer platform a little later in the year. The 990FX chipset doesn't offer heaps over the 890FX chipset, but does offer a couple of extra features and tweaks. Probably a bit like the Z68 chipset from Intel does over the P67 one.
Getting a bit more specific on the board we have here today, the 990FXA-UD7 from GIGABYTE is a great board. Performance is strong, we've got a bunch of stuff in the bundle and the board itself just looks fantastic. GIGABYTE knows how to create a good looking board and considering how shallow most of us are these days, it's indeed very appreciated.
The decision to go down the mass x16 path when it comes to the PCI-E slots is also a good one since the slots can of course handle cards that are smaller and run off PCI-E x4 or x1 connectivity. The layout gives us the option to install up to four video cards, though, and while that ability may feel a little wasted at the moment on the current AMD architecture, it's going to be appreciated later down the track when we see new CPUs from AMD.
All in all, GIGABYTE have put together a really good board here and if you're a GIGABYTE fan you're going to appreciate the styling that we're used to seeing on their Intel based boards. Not only does the UD7 perform well with good out of the box performance and also a strong overclock, it really looks the part too. There's not a whole lot more we could ask for from a motherboard.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Turtle Beach shows off Star Wars Battlefront-themed headphones
- Head of Islamic State Cyber Caliphate killed by drone strike
- Scosche launches the boomBOTTLE+ waterproof Bluetooth speaker
- XCOM 2 delayed to 2016 on all platforms
- ARCHOS unveils its Diamond Tab 4G/LTE tablet
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20