Chipset - All about the nForce2
The Chaintech Zenith 7NJS is our first hands on experience with an nForce2 board. Before we get into the tests that we are all waiting for, let me give you a bit of information on the nForce2 chipset.
The nForce2 is a combination of nForce 1 innovation with modern day research to produce the fastest possible AMD Athlon platform solution. Built with Dual Channel memory controller integrated into the Northbridge with use of DDR-400 memory, you can obtain in theory a maximum memory bandwidth of 6.4GB/s, this is more then double the power that VIA, SiS or ALI are offering, who give you a maximum of 3.7GB/s or 3.2GB/s. There is only one set back for this setup - you need two of the same size and density DIMM modules to run in dual mode. Dual mode simply uses two DIMM's to create a 128bit memory bus. This is the same design that went into the original nForce which we saw was a flop, not even being able to offer as much power as the AMD 761 chipset. We have been personally assured that this new chipset is able to obtain a lot more than its predecessor.
With this comes AGP 8x graphics transfer mode. AGP 8x offers up to 2.1GB/s data transfer between the AGP video system and the system memory. While this does sound good in theory, AGP 8x hasn't shown any current day advantages over AGP 4x video cards. Current video cards that run on the 8x specifications are equipped with 128MB onboard memory. This is more than enough to store the textures that are normally transferred over the AGP bus. Since there is no heavy transfers for the AGO bus, we don't see any difference between 4x and 8x modes - However I can see it coming into use in the near future.
The new MCP-T Southbridge hub interconnects with the same AMD Hyper-Transport protocol that the original nForce used. This does not serve as any hindrance, but a major boost. Hyper-Transport connects the North and South hubs together at 800MB/s, which is more than enough for USB 2.0, Firewire, Twin NICs, PCI interconnects and IDE controllers.
Designed with two NICs built into the MCP-T, you get nVidia's AC'97 LAN controller as well as 3Coms PCI Ethernet controller. While there are two NICs by spec, Chaintech have only used the single nVidia one.
Another great feature is the Dolby Digital AC'97 audio controller built in. This is the first and only Dolby Digital certified AC3 AC'97 controller.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Amnesia creators show off the latest trailer to SOMA, arrives Sep 22
- Apple's upcoming 21.5-inch iMac should feature a 4K display
- ASUS unveils a new super-powered gaming notebook that is watercooled
- Every single Deus Ex game can be purchased for under $7 right now
- Forza Motorsport 6 launch trailer is here, 1080p 60FPS on the Xbox One
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem
- Seagate Game Drive 2TB Xbox STEA2000403 Add-on Storage Device Review
- How can you find updated drivers like people post to this site all the time?
- Are these the same?
- Really Need help with Asmedia SATA Bios/Drivers settings
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015