Because we're having a look at the chipset and motherboard more so than the AMD platform itself, we'll check out the ASUS Crosshair V Formula against the ASUS M4A89TD Pro which uses the AMD 890FX chipset.
We'll also be looking at the Crosshair V Formula with our CPU running at stock speeds and our CPU overclocked. Before we talk about the maximum overclock we achieved, let's first cover what we managed to achieve using the "OC" button that is present on the motherboard.
With the machine turned off, we press the button and then powered up our machine. Our machine then does a bit of a song and dance and after a minute or two we end up in Windows.
Firing up CPU-Z, we can see what we ended up at and as you can see above we managed to get into Windows at 3840MHz. This is a nice overclock from the stock 3300MHz made even better by the fact that all we had to do was press a button before turning the machine on.
With that done, though, we figured we'd just reboot and get into the BIOS and do some manual overclocking to see what we could achieve from our Phenom II X6 1100T.
While we could get in to Windows at 4.1GHz - 4.2GHz, our benchmarking was a little hit and miss with some tests having problems dealing with the speed. What we ended up at, though, was 4056MHz or 4.06GHz. This is overall a nice overclock and we'll see what kind of performance it brings over the default clock speeds.
Let's get started!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MacBook Pro GPU issues caused by software, not AMD
- HP's new supercomputer is 8000x faster than your PC
- AMD's Zen-capable X370 boards preview on December 13
- AMD's next-gen Vega 10 leaks - are they the real deal?
- Don't press new 'Guardians of the Galaxy' trailer button
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset