The ASUS DirectCU II series of cards are just a great option for people who are looking for something that offers a strong cooler, and while some of the recent ones we've looked at might not carry a three slot cooler like you see on their high end ones, the cooler that is used is designed very well for the model it's on.
One of the good things about the DirectCU II series is that ASUS do a great job of making sure the cooler they use accommodates the model well. While lower end models like the GTX 560 are part of the series, their cooler is quite different to the ones you see on the models above it.
Choosing to overclock without boosting voltage also means that not as much heat is generated, but a nice performance boost can be seen; we saw that today when comparing this card overclocked to our reference one. One of the best features of the card would have to be the noise levels, though, that are still extremely low even when overclocked.
ASUS do a great job of offering quiet cards that sit higher up the performance pyramid then a lot of other companies. This is obvious in our sound graphs which show the DirectCU II offerings sitting towards the bottom of the graph.
The other feature that stands out a bit is the connectivity with its two DVI connectors and two DisplayPort connectors. I like that ASUS have chosen to go for a full size DP connector instead of a mini one, it eliminates the need for convertors and means if you're using a DP monitor you can plug it straight in. While the card does lack HDMI on the PCB itself at least, ASUS have thought about it and chosen to include a DVI to HDMI connector in the bundle.
Throw this all together and slap a $199.99 price tag on it and it's a great buy. Throw in a $20 rebate at Newegg at the moment and at $179.99 the ASUS HD 6870 DirectCU II is one of the cheapest HD 6870s on the market. Considering the performance of the cooler, this is a great buy for anyone interested in a quality HD 6870.
At the end of it all, it comes as no surprise that ASUS have managed to produce another great quality card. What's a little surprising is the extremely strong price that's on it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card & Specification]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD will dominate the mid-range with Ryzen 7 1700X
- AMD's new Ryzen 7 1800X: 8C/16T @ 4GHz for $499
- AMD's new Ryzen CPU hits 52% IPC improvement
- Radeon Vega logo teased during AMD Ryzen press event
- AMD Introduces Ryzen CPUs
- E5450 oveclock on EP45-DS3L
- H97M Pro4 - Intel Smart Connect Technology is running in Win10 but not in Win7
- (GA X99 Designare) Anyone using a Beta BIOS?
- Are there any infos about the dk-05?
- How can I Speedup Outlook 2010 Performance?
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood
- New Final Fantasy XV content including 'booster pack+' release and NieR: Automata collaboration now available