Earlier on in the review I told you about the drives SMART-BURN feature - the technology which allows this drive to automatically detect which CD-R or CD-RW media you are using and determine which speed it will safely be able to be written at.
For your reference, we gathered and tested 8 different types of CD-R media from several different companies and noted how fast Nero Burning ROM in conjunction with the Liteon burner SMART-BURN technology allowed the media to be written at with "PASS" allowing 52x write speeds and "FAIL", obviously not.
- Included Liteon Multi-Speed = PASS (no problems)
- TDK 40x = PASS (no problems)
- TDK "Plus" Unknown Speed = PASS (no problems)
- Pioneer 32x = PASS (no problems)
- TDK 8x = FAIL (16x only)
- Princo 16x = FAIL (40x only)
- Verbatim 24x = FAIL (32x only)
- Imation "CR-R Music" Unknown Speed = FAIL (40x only)
As you can see only 4 of the 8 media disks were able to handle the 52x write speeds. Keep this in mind when you are considering your purchase - depending on your location, it may be difficult to source the required media for your drive.
While we cannot give you a definitive answer if the Liteon 522446S burner is in fact the fastest CD-RW device on the planet like the manufacturer claims, I can tell you it held up to all my hopes and expectations.
I won't lie to you, when the drive starts spinning up at its top speed; it is not quiet and is noticeable above any other device inside of the computer. On the same token, if you're a person like me with many fans inside of your case, cooling your overclocked components, it will not be much of a nuisance for you - and like I did - you will most probably grow to accept it as a normal part of your day-to-day computing experience. You need to take the good with the bad with such a fast operating optical drive. It's the trade off YOU need to decide whether you wish to make or not.
If you are after a super fast burner (and probably the fastest money can buy at time of writing this review...) and don't want to break the bank at the same time, you should definitely pay close attention to Liteon's classy yet affordable 522446S burner. Personally, from now on Liteon will be a brand I will be choosing for all future optical drive purchases and one I would have no problem recommending to potential buyers.
- Ultra Fast
- SMART-BURN Technology
- Low Level of Vibration
- Mt.Rainier Support
- Easy Installation
- 52x media may be hard to find
Rating 9.5/10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 3 [Features]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 4 [Features Continued]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System and Nero Burning ROM and Sandra]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Nero CD Speed and CD Tach 98]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 7 [Media Testing and Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 'We're not really interested in mobile devices any more', says NVIDIA
- IN WIN modders have created some truly beautiful custom PCs
- IN WIN's Mod in Taiwan event kicks off, with the world's best modders
- New 4K Xbox Scorpio targeting 6TFLOPs, 1.5 times faster than PS4K
- E3 site lists Xbox One VR category with Oculus Rift devs attached
- Z170 Extreme7+ Correct USB drivers Win10 x64
- Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 & 950 NVMe M.2 SSD question
- Problem entering bios on new build
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - Titan X Performance For Under $400
- Asrock 3-Way 2S2S SLI Bridge Card
- Patriot presents UHS-II capable EP PRO-II SDXC and microSDXC
- Patriot announces 2TB Ignite SSD
- Tt eSPORTS unveils the new Level 10 Advanced gaming mouse
- EVGA announces its GeForce GTX 1080 series
- Palit announces the GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock and Super JetStream