- Test System
Processor(s): Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz (Supplied by Intel Australia)
Motherboard(s): FIC VC19 (Supplied by FIC)
Memory(s): 512mb Crucial PC2700 (Supplied by Crucial)
Video Card(s): nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 Reference (Supplied by nVidia)
Hard Disk(s): Seagate 80gb 7,200 RPM ATA100
Sound Card(s): Sound Blaster Extigy
Operating System Used: Windows XP Professional
Drivers Used: Native OS - Sony 16/10/40 and Liteon 52/24/52
Software Used: Nero Burning ROM, Nero CD Speed, SiSoft Sandra 2003, CD Tach 98
Please Note - We used TDK 700mb 80min CD-R media capable of writing at 52x and 16x respectively on both of our test products. The 615mb data CD we used was Need for Speed - HP2 by EA Games. No firmware updates were applied to either drive.
Nero Burning ROM
Nero Burning ROM is the best friend your recorder could ever have. Fast, ultra-stable, powerful, and user-friendly, Nero is the complete answer to your recording needs. Since 1995, Nero's development has been guided by users like you.
- On The Fly (615mb)
For our first benchmark we burnt a 615mb data CD "on the fly" from our source drive Pioneer 16x DVD. The Liteon 52x drive certainly kept the Pioneer drive on its toes the entire time since the Pioneer drive could only read at a maximum speed of 40x - This did not seem to effect our burning procedure though with the Liteon drive beating the slower Sony drive by over three and a half minutes.
Given 40x was the highest obtainable write speed in this test, the Liteon drive performed very well indeed.
- Image from HDD - (615mb)
In this benchmark the 615mb source image from the Pioneer 16x DVD had to be copied to the HDD then results were recorded from each burner for the total time (including writing the image to HDD) required.
The Liteon drive shows almost a three minute advantage in this test.
SiSoft Sandra CD-ROM Benchmark
SiSoft Sandra (the System ANalyser, Diagnostic and Reporting Assistant) 2003 is a synthetic windows benchmark that features different tests used to evaluate different PC subsystems.
*** Buy the Professional upgrade version of Sandra 2003 - Get your own copy here! ***
This test did not compare the burn speed capabilities from each drive. Sandra 2003 CD-ROM synthetic benchmark tested each of the drives to determine their performance when reading CDs with access times and so forth taken into consideration.
We see that the Liteon drive takes a clear advantage over the Sony drive which is only able to read at 40x. This benchmark is useful for those intend on using the burner as their standard standalone CD drive as well.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 3 [Features]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 4 [Features Continued]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System and Nero Burning ROM and Sandra]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Nero CD Speed and CD Tach 98]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 7 [Media Testing and Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD's next-gen 'Horned Owl' APU arrives in 2017
- Xbox wants to be the best place for devs to make money
- Amazon Prime now required for new Twitch subscriptions
- NVIDIA shows how awesome Gears of War 4 looks in DX12
- Ubisoft says Nintendo will be 'back in the race' with NX
- Acer Chromebook R11 Review
- ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 won't restart - debug code 4F
- ASUS X99-Deluxe II Motherboard Review
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now