The Drive - Internal Features
The 522446S burner is quite deceiving actually. It puts off a very simple look with its neat and tidy design approach, which suggests, in my books, an equally simple product.
However this burner includes a few trademark Liteon internal features which you may have not expected from a company which is known for their highly competitive pricing scheme. It is important not to let the affordable asking price of this drive fool you.
Firstly let's see what Nero InfoTool had to say about this drive
Now let's move on to the drives internal features
- SMART-BURN Technology
The first item we will pay attention to is the drives SMART-BURN technology. Using this clever technology, the drive is able to automatically check which CD-R or CD-RW media you are attempting to use and increase or decrease burn speeds accordingly to what the drive thinks the media is able to safely handle. Not all burning software supports this feature, but Nero Burning ROM for one, which is included with the retail package, does and very well at that.
As far as practicality goes, I found this feature quite handy indeed. Being a 52x burner, initially I was not positive which media would be able to actually write at this super fast speed, without adding another CD to the coaster collection. As you will see later on in this review, the drive did an excellent job of setting which speed to write at for a whole range of different media which we gathered and tested especially for this review.
- VAS (Vibration Absorber System)
No matter what, any mechanical device in the world which spins at 52 times per second is going to make a degree of noise as it shakes and vibrates and does its thing. Although I am happy to note that Liteon have done a tremendous job with the implementation of their VAS.
This drive vibrates no more than my older Sony 16x burner. While it does make some noise (with an initial unnerving whining sound, as if an alien were trying to escape the drive) when it is burning at top speeds, there is little to no vibration from the drive.
- Mt.Rainier Supported
Many of you will most likely be unfamiliar with Phillip's relatively new Mt.Rainier patented technology, so here is a quick summary for you.
Mt.Rainier supported drivers are designed to take over where standard floppy disk drives have brought us so far. If a burner has Mt.Rainier support, no drivers are required for the device to be installed within the Operating System, in our case Windows XP.
Install the drive into your computer and boot into your Operating System and it will automatically be detected without the need of any manufacturer drivers - this is known as Native OS support, the basis behind Mt.Rainier. With Windows XP, no third party burner software is even required to burn CDs, as seen in the picture above of the CD Writing Wizard.
Simply drag and drop through Windows Explorer as if it were a regular floppy disk drive, burn your data, then you're done - It is that easy.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 3 [Features]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 4 [Features Continued]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System and Nero Burning ROM and Sandra]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Nero CD Speed and CD Tach 98]
- Liteon 52/24/52 - Page 7 [Media Testing and Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance