mSATA is about to blow up this year. This tiny form factor that was once an enabler of small netbook devices is starting to make its way into notebooks and even desktop systems. For the most part notebooks ship with a single 2.5", notebook standard HDD, but these days informed users want a SSD for their OS and a large HDD for their long term storage needs. To make this happen, manufacturers are turning to the mSATA standard so users can install a small, yet high speed SSD and still retain their 2.5" space for a higher capacity HDD.
Just recently we previewed the Patriot Torqx and introduced you to the new Phison PS3105-S5 SSD controller. This new product from Phison has been talked about quite a bit around the virtual water cooler and is a contender for the mainstream budget minded consumer SSD crown for 2011. The controller packs some impressive specifications for its price range and target market. More impressive, though, is that manufacturers are already starting to get creative with the controller and MyDigitalSSD has taken this controller to mSATA land.
MyDigitalSSD, part of the MyDigitalDiscount e-tail group is the first to offer an mSATA Phison based SSD. This product is designed to replace slow SSDs that are currently shipping in notebooks and to add an SSD in notebooks that ship with an unpopulated mSATA dock. So far I've come up with this list of compatible products. This list is not a complete list, but it's a starting point.
- ASUS Eee Slate EP121
- Dell: M4500, M6400, M6500
- Fusion Garage JOOJOO
- Google: CR-48 Chrome
- Lenovo: K26, K47A, K47G
- Lenovo IdeaPad: Y460, Y560
- Lenovo ThinkPad: T420S, T420, T520, L420, L520, W520
- Lenovo ThinkPad Edge: E220s, E420s, Y460, Y560
As you can see, the list is already impressive and filled with products from quality manufacturers. mSATA is just starting to get off the ground, but this is a very good start.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Sony unveils the Xperia Z5 Premium, the world's first 4K smartphone
- Hideo Kojima: The players are everything, I get my energy from them
- ASUS unveils a Windows 10-powered PC-on-a-stick with the new VivoStick
- You can now download Epic's awesome 'Showdown' VR experience
- PS4 v3.0 firmware includes YouTube Gaming support, more cloud storage
- Purchasing case fans in Taiwan
- Strontium Nitro 566X 64GB MicroSDXC and USB Type-C Reader Review
- does ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 support window 10 with the G3258 cpu?
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015