Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are greater than that of the Mushkin Enhanced Joule 800W, we can test it to the maximum.
Running the Mushkin Enhanced Joule 800W power supply through our tests revealed some surprising numbers. Starting with the voltages, we see some readings on the 12V rail that are a tad higher than most power supplies we have reviewed lately, but are still well within specifications. As the loads increase, voltages drop across the board as you would expect, but there are no drastic drops and the readings on all of the rails are well within specifications and look good from start to finish.
Perhaps the area where the Joule 800W excelled at the most was in the ripple department. Start out during the first test, ripple was almost non-existent at only 5mV peak to peak. As the loads increased, so did the ripple, but it was very marginal from test to test. During the final test, ripple crept up to a maximum of 22mV under full load.
As the Joule 800W power supply is rated for 80Plus Silver efficiency, we should expect to see efficiency numbers at or above 85%, 89%, and 85% at 20%, 50%, and 100% loads respectively. The numbers for the Joule 800W are right where they should be at their respective loads and while we don't have a test at exactly 50%, the unit shows no signs that it isn't capable of reaching its rated efficiency.
Normally, you don't expect anything spectacular from a budget power supply and usually have to worry about at least one test coming close to failing. The Mushkin Enhanced Joule 800W performed flawlessly with plenty of room to spare in every test from start to finish. It offers a very fair selection of cables and connectors for an 800W power supply that should complement just about any system the power supply is capable of pushing and does so at a very attractive price of $110.
The unit isn't without its discrepancies, however, and that is often the price that you pay for a budget power supply. The biggest complaint is lack of a lengthy warranty for your power supply. While almost every manufacturer of power supplies has switched to a "standard" minimum of a five year warranty, Mushkin only offers a two year warranty for the Joule. You also have the primary capacitors that are rated for 85C instead of the more favored 105C capacitors. While they didn't give us any problems during testing, a year or so of use and degradation of the capacitors could prove this to be the weak point in the power supply.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung talks about building a 10K mobile display for VR
- Gears of War 4 requires a huge 80GB HDD space on the PC
- Battlefield 1 single player trailer teases Frostbite
- NVIDIA to reveal next-gen Volta architecture at GTC 2017
- Volta-based GeForce cards coming in 2018 with 48GB GDDR6
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS HDD Review
- Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Band Review
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now