- Dolby Digital EX 6.1
Many of you have most likely heard the term "5.1 surround sound", but don't have a clue as to what it actually means. Well, the term "5.1" means that there are five main channels for audio to pass through, as well as a sub woofer for lower frequency sounds. The five channels in 5.1 are: front left, front centre, front right, rear left and rear right as well as of course, the sub woofer. Support for the 5.1 standard is available on most modern sound cards, including the original Audigy and even the older Soundblaster Live!.
Creative have taken things one step further with the Audigy 2, supporting the new Dolby Digital EX 6.1 standard. This not only features all of the same channels seen in the 5.1 standard, but also adds a rear centre channel.
That said, the Audigy 2 can still only output a pre-encoded audio stream, meaning that you will need to purchase a separate decoder box if you want to take full advantage of true 6.1 audio. Furthermore, 6.1 encoded audio is still quite rare, with the exception being a number of newer DVD titles and games.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Audigy 2 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Audigy 2 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Audigy 2 - Page 3 [Many Different Flavours]
- Audigy 2 - Page 4 [DVD Audio]
- Audigy 2 - Page 5 [Playback at 24-bit/96KHz?]
- Audigy 2 - Page 6 [Dolby Digital EX 6.1]
- Audigy 2 - Page 7 [The Card]
- Audigy 2 - Page 8 [Software Bundle]
- Audigy 2 - Page 9 [Test System & Methodology]
- Audigy 2 - Page 10 [Test Results]
- Audigy 2 - Page 11 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New Windows 10 Anniversary Update release date leaked
- Doom update makes it feel more like the original
- Overwatch Competitive Mode launching today
- Amazon says you can have an Oculus Rift by tomorrow
- Get a killer domain name for your tech business
- USB speed differences between various motherboards and BIOSses
- Need help with pre-built/used GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 System
- AsRock Z87 extreme 6
- GIGABYTE X99-Phoenix SLI (Intel X99) Motherboard Review
- Deleted driver software
- ADATA launches the Premier SP550 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Mangstor's NX-Series storage arrays accelerate HPC throughput with new burst buffer capabilities
- Swiftech unveils new Komodo Waterblocks for NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and GTX1070 flagship video cards
- ADATA releases the HD700 and HV620S external hard drives
- BIOSTAR teams up with Apacer and Thermaltake to showcase high-end gaming machines