Overall, after putting the Audigy 2 through a plethora of tests, we'd have to say that it is the highest quality consumer-level sound card available on the market today. Its rich feature set, superb sound quality and generous software bundle put it head and shoulders above anything we've ever tested.
Furthermore, the Audigy 2 is an innovation in many ways. Firstly, it is the first consumer level sound card to feature DVD audio support, paving the way for much higher quality audio on the PC than the tradition CD format. Secondly, the quality of the product is further confirmed through its prestigious THX certification - Another first for consumer level sound cards.
Finally, the included support for 6.1 audio is another innovation that greatly adds to the realism of both games and movies, placing you directly in the centre of the action.
After playing with the card for a number of weeks now, we can't help but imagine the possibilities of coupling the Audigy 2 with a decent virtual reality headset. We already have the Audigy 2, now it's just a matter of finding a *decent* VR headset.
All that said, owners of the original Audigy may not see much need to upgrade to an Audigy 2, as the increase in sound quality and features, in our opinion, doesn't completely justify the price. However, as mentioned earlier, those upgrading from older sound cards will be very pleased with the improvement.
The bottom line is, if you're looking at upgrading your sound card, whether you're a gamer, audiophile or musician, you won't be disappointed with the Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2.
Superb sound quality
Dolby Digital EX providing 6.1 channel audio
Platinum version comes with breakout box and remote
Excellent software bundle
Slightly expensive at $199 US
Not a great improvement over the original Audigy
Rating - 9/10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Audigy 2 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Audigy 2 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Audigy 2 - Page 3 [Many Different Flavours]
- Audigy 2 - Page 4 [DVD Audio]
- Audigy 2 - Page 5 [Playback at 24-bit/96KHz?]
- Audigy 2 - Page 6 [Dolby Digital EX 6.1]
- Audigy 2 - Page 7 [The Card]
- Audigy 2 - Page 8 [Software Bundle]
- Audigy 2 - Page 9 [Test System & Methodology]
- Audigy 2 - Page 10 [Test Results]
- Audigy 2 - Page 11 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Four-part Mass Effect book series links original trilogy to Andromeda
- Sonic the Hedgehog's new 2017 game to have 'huge emphasis on quality'
- If you own an HTC Vive, you have to play Pool Nation VR
- Nintendo NX might use both cartridges and discs
- This emotional AMD commercial invites you to join the Radeon Rebellion
- Why does my Monitor show static and lines occasionally when using 144hz?
- Considering a DK-04 when they come in stock, just have a few questions beforehand.
- Skylake Overclocking i7 6700k help please
- X170 EXTREME ECC Build
- GA-Z77-UD5H and W10 Sata Port Recognition?
- ADATA launches the Premier SP550 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Mangstor's NX-Series storage arrays accelerate HPC throughput with new burst buffer capabilities
- Swiftech unveils new Komodo Waterblocks for NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and GTX1070 flagship video cards
- ADATA releases the HD700 and HV620S external hard drives
- BIOSTAR teams up with Apacer and Thermaltake to showcase high-end gaming machines