The 4-bay SOHO NAS market is highly contested with many manufacturers offering multiple products that fit this group. Price points range from the high 500 USD area and go all the way up to 900 USD. Thecus offers four NAS servers that fit in this area (excluding the rackmount models). The N4200 PRO we looked at today is the flagship of this group and offers the highest specifications with the most features. The dual screen display was hyped quite a bit by Thecus, but we still feel that the best feature on the N4200 Series (not included with the N4200 ECO) is the battery backup that keeps your data safe even when an outage occurs. Thecus is the only manufacturer including this feature in this category of NAS servers and it gives Thecus a really big selling point over the competition.
You might expect the N4200 PRO to cost more than NAS servers without a battery backup system and that is true in many cases, but the N4200 PRO is far from the most expensive NAS in the four bay group. The N4200 ECO with the same dual display, but without the battery backup feature costs 679.99 USD at Newegg at this time. If you already have a battery backup system then the ECO model would be a good choice. Most users don't have a battery backup system in their home or small office and for those the N4200 PRO is undoubtedly your best choice in the four bay NAS market. Expect to pay close to 800 USD on the N4200 PRO. That is quite a bit of change for any small office to budget, but it is lower than many NAS servers including the QNAP TS-459 that we used to compare performance to today.
When it comes to performance the N4200 PRO delivers what we've come to expect from a 4-bay NAS server, close to 100MB/s. Just like with any NAS, the small file reads and writes are slower than those associated with reading and writing large blocks of data, like video files. With many NAS servers using the same processor, memory and Ethernet controllers, speeds are starting to become very close to each other. That is why so much emphasis is now placed on accessory packages, pricing and features. The Thecus N4200 PRO is strong in all of these areas and class leading in features.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [The Packaging]
- Page 5 [The Thecus N4200 PRO]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Content]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlefield 1 rumored to get support for HDR soon
- Star Wars Battlefront II's new trailer looks INCREDIBLE
- NVIDIA announces SLI/HDR support for Shadow of War on PC
- ASUS B250 Mining Expert board: support for 19 x GPUs
- Destiny 2 will have 21:9, SLI, HDR support on the PC
- Linksys WRT32x AC3200 Wireless Gaming Router Review
- Massive drop in temps by lowering "VCCPLL OC" in BIOS: Is the reported temperature correct?
- Intel details 8th Generation Core CPUs with Kaby Lake-R
- Xbox's next system-seller may be an early access titan
- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Movie Review
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower
- Longsys' world-first 11.5x13mm NVMe BGA SSD drives new mobile user experience