The BIOS on the MINIX is also sort of small. You get some of the same basic functions you would find in a regular sized board, but there are also many that are absent.
In the Advanced menu you can see most of the typical adjustments. Even in the advanced CPU section things are not that far off of the mark. You can also see that we were able to get the MINIX to post with the 1100T that we wanted to use. So far, so good for pushing that 95Watt envelope!
The Advanced Northbridge page has most of the same options you would have on any 890GX motherboard.
The same can be said with the Southbridge page.
The Onboard device configuration page...well... it looks like most other AMD based systems.
Ok...Umm, there is an overclocking section on the MINIX 890GX-USB3. It shows up as the JUSTw00t! option in the BIOS. It is fairly light on options, but we suppose it could be used to get a few more MHz out of a CPU as long as you keep things under control power wise.
After seeing the JUSTw00t! section in the BIOS I had high hopes that I would get some sort of overclock out of the MINIX 890GX-USB3. However, that was not to be. The board did not lockup, or fail to post for that matter, it just would not accept the overclock no matter what I put in. I even checked multiple times to make sure the settings were in the BIOS. They were, it is just that the board was not applying them at all. We imagine that this is due to the 1100T we used and that if you drop in a CPU that comes in under that curve, you will have much better success.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time of testing the motherboard. Due to time constraints we weren't able to tweak the motherboard to the absolute maximum and find the highest possible FSB, as this could take days to find properly. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking or as new BIOS updates are released. "Burn-in" time might also come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and Comments]
- Page 6 [Synthetic Tests - Part I]
- Page 7 [Synthetic Tests - Part II]
- Page 8 [Synthetic Tests - Part III]
- Page 9 [Real-World Tests - Part I]
- Page 10 [Real-World Tests - Part II]
- Page 11 [Power Usage, Heat Tests and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- LG announces 'Ray' smartphone for 3G markets
- Power two systems with one power supply thanks to Phanteks' splitter
- QPAD uses DreamHack to launch its first new mouse shape in seven years
- Noctua says its 24V industrial fans are the best an enthusiast can get
- Samsung announces huge 128GB DDR4 DIMMs for enterprise, data centers
- Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB Review
- North Bridge Frequency Locked at 4300 on Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 Board
- New SSD Connections and GA-Z87X-UD5H?
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 120L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- SanDisk Extreme 500 240GB USB 3.0 Portable SSD Review
- CYBERTRONPC OFFERS TESSERACT 15 SK NOTEBOOK, NOW WITH 6th GEN INTEL PROCESSOR AND WINDOWS 10
- HERE and the Netherlands evaluating 4G/LTE-based C-ITS road messaging system
- Sony PLAYSTATION 4 (PS4) SALES SURPASS 30.2 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE
- Samsung Starts Mass Producing Industry's First 128-GIGABYTE DDR4 Modules for Enterprise Servers
- LG RAY DELIVERS LARGE HD DISPLAY AND BEST-IN-CLASS CAMERAS FOR 3G MARKETS