Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are higher than that of the Golden King 550W, we can only test it to the maximum.
While there isn't too many results to look at as there are only three different tests in our test methodology, there is still plenty of data to tell how the Golden King performs. Voltages are quite stable, with very little droop throughout testing. All voltages are well within specifications. Both 12V and 5V readings are within 3% of tolerance while the 3.3V readings prove to be within 2%.
Ripple on the 12V rail is great as well. Starting out, we see only 21mV which increases to a maximum of 32mV under full load. While this isn't something super spectacular, it is still an excellent result and also well within specifications.
Moving on to what most of us are probably interested in with the Golden King 550W, we see some great efficiency numbers from the Golden King 550W power supply. Remember that in order to get Platinum certification, the power supply must achieve 90%, 92%, and 89% efficiency at 20%, 50%, and 100% loads respectively. The Golden King 550W power supply hits the mark here, staying above 91% efficiency the entire time. It's good to see that the unit isn't barely squeezing into the Platinum level, but instead it has some room to spare.
Well, there we have it folks, our first Platinum power supply at TweakTown. Super Flower has a winner with the Golden King 550W power supply in all aspects. The solid voltages combined with the relatively low noise should insure that your system stays up and running when you need it most. Combine with the 91% or better efficiency that the unit provides and you should save a little bit of money on your electric bill as well.
Of course, you'll have to cough up a little bit extra cash from the start to grab it, but the rising costs of electricity surely make it worth the money if it has enough power for your build. The only trouble the Golden King will give you is getting your hands on one. If it wasn't for the availability, the Golden King 550W would have received one of the highest overall ratings a power supply has ever received at TweakTown.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Switch to get 'continuous stream' of third-party games
- Nintendo 3DS isn't going anywhere
- Messenger Lite now available in 150 additional countries
- Nintendo sold 2.74 million Switch systems in first month
- Nintendo profits increase by 521%
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives