This is actually a really killer setup and I think that over the past few years we've seen a shift where SLI was only something you would make use of when using the highest end cards to it now being a technology that strives in these mid-range models.
The real back and forth motion between AMD and NVIDIA in the pricing over the last few years means that the mid-range models have seen aggressive pricing and just some awesome performance in single card form. When you combine that single card bang for buck experience and double it, you end up with a really powerful setup that doesn't cost the world.
Sure, in the end it's not as good a value as the same card when it comes down to the pure FPS, but you're talking about a setup that plays 1680 x 1050 easily and performs here and there at 1920 x 1200 to a setup that plays 1920 x 1200 easily and performs here and there at 2560 x 1600.
If you're gaming at 1920 x 1080, this ends up being a really great setup for you and because the pricing of the higher end models aren't as aggressive, the dual card setup ends up being a better buy than the single higher end one, and that's what we're seeing here today.
SLI, at least in two card form, really causes no headache. Now if you've got a compatible motherboard you can get performance equal to and sometimes better than a single GTX 570 for less. The great thing about the Palit offering as well is while it does run a little warmer, it's only because the fan speed's so slow that the setup is near silent.
When you think about it, having the same performance as a HD 6970 or GTX 570 with almost no noise is just a dream for some people. Obviously the noise factor is going to change from manufacturer to manufacturer, but the silent path that Palit has chosen I think pays dividends to the right crowd.
In the end we've got another great GTX 550 Ti with a 1GHz core clock. What we've also seen here today, though, is just what the model is capable of when paired with another. This is indeed a really attractive option for people who want power and silence while having a bit of fun with SLI at the same time.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - PhysX Tests]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- KitGuru editor in chief apologizes for 'inflammatory' AMD article
- Intel Battery Optimizer Android app now cleans, too
- Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six next in GeForce GTX bundles
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- Topic: X99E-ITX/ac with 32GB ram
- The Crew WILD RUN PC CLOSED BETA WILL BE PLAYABLE FROM OCTOBER 15TH TO OCTOBER 19TH 2015
- MLG Announces Broadcast Talent for World Finals in New Orleans
- Patriot Announces New Viper 4 3600MHz Dual-Channel Memory Kit
- Supermicro Launches New 1U TwinPro Fully Redundant, Dual DP Node, SuperServer
- AMD Partners with Oculus and Dell to Power Oculus Ready PCs