This is actually a really killer setup and I think that over the past few years we've seen a shift where SLI was only something you would make use of when using the highest end cards to it now being a technology that strives in these mid-range models.
The real back and forth motion between AMD and NVIDIA in the pricing over the last few years means that the mid-range models have seen aggressive pricing and just some awesome performance in single card form. When you combine that single card bang for buck experience and double it, you end up with a really powerful setup that doesn't cost the world.
Sure, in the end it's not as good a value as the same card when it comes down to the pure FPS, but you're talking about a setup that plays 1680 x 1050 easily and performs here and there at 1920 x 1200 to a setup that plays 1920 x 1200 easily and performs here and there at 2560 x 1600.
If you're gaming at 1920 x 1080, this ends up being a really great setup for you and because the pricing of the higher end models aren't as aggressive, the dual card setup ends up being a better buy than the single higher end one, and that's what we're seeing here today.
SLI, at least in two card form, really causes no headache. Now if you've got a compatible motherboard you can get performance equal to and sometimes better than a single GTX 570 for less. The great thing about the Palit offering as well is while it does run a little warmer, it's only because the fan speed's so slow that the setup is near silent.
When you think about it, having the same performance as a HD 6970 or GTX 570 with almost no noise is just a dream for some people. Obviously the noise factor is going to change from manufacturer to manufacturer, but the silent path that Palit has chosen I think pays dividends to the right crowd.
In the end we've got another great GTX 550 Ti with a 1GHz core clock. What we've also seen here today, though, is just what the model is capable of when paired with another. This is indeed a really attractive option for people who want power and silence while having a bit of fun with SLI at the same time.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - PhysX Tests]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlefield 1 rumored to get support for HDR soon
- Star Wars Battlefront II's new trailer looks INCREDIBLE
- NVIDIA announces SLI/HDR support for Shadow of War on PC
- ASUS B250 Mining Expert board: support for 19 x GPUs
- Destiny 2 will have 21:9, SLI, HDR support on the PC
- Linksys WRT32x AC3200 Wireless Gaming Router Review
- Massive drop in temps by lowering "VCCPLL OC" in BIOS: Is the reported temperature correct?
- Intel details 8th Generation Core CPUs with Kaby Lake-R
- Xbox's next system-seller may be an early access titan
- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Movie Review
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower
- Longsys' world-first 11.5x13mm NVMe BGA SSD drives new mobile user experience