Being such a new high end card, we've got a large line-up of models we'll be comparing the Sapphire HD 6990 4GB to, and because it's a dual GPU card we'll be putting a lot of the focus on dual GPU setups from both AMD and NVIDIA.
On the AMD front we've got the stand alone flagship single GPU HD 6970 2GB; we've also got the HD 6870, HD 6950 and the HD 6970 all in CrossFire. For NVIDIA we've got their flagship model, the GTX 580, and we've also got the GTX 560 Ti and GTX 580 in SLI.
We would've liked to have included a HD 5970 2GB, but both of my samples are dead and have been for a little while now. It's the main reason we don't use the model anymore in our Catalyst articles.
The focus is indeed dual GPU setups and that's because while the HD 6990 4GB is only a single card, it does carry with it two cores and it's important to know how this single card compares to those dual GPU, dual card setups.
Also, initially we'll be just testing the HD 6990 4GB at its out of the box speed, which is "Position 2" on the Dual BIOS switch. We will look at "Position 1" or "AUSUM" mode when we also look at overclocking in a separate article coming soon.
Let's get started!
3DMark 11 is the latest version of the world's most popular benchmark. Designed to measure your PC's gaming performance 3DMark 11 makes extensive use of all the new features in DirectX 11 including tessellation, compute shaders and multi-threading. Trusted by gamers worldwide to give accurate and unbiased results, 3DMark 11 is the best way to consistently and reliably test DirectX 11 under game-like loads.
Straight out the gate we can see the kind of performance we're getting out of the box from the HD 6990 4GB. Overall it's a little behind the HD 6970 CF setup as we would expect and a little behind the GTX 580 SLI setup. Clearly the fastest single card solution here, though.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package Pictures]
- Page 2 [Card Pictures & Specification]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 'Terminator' to wrap with creator James Cameron's return
- PC gaming hardware market hits $30 billion
- Nintendo Switch battery life analysis
- Resident Evil 7 isn't coming to Nintendo Switch
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Hyrule is bigger than Skyrim
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni