The HD 6950 Twin Frozr II shows us why we love this series so much. Not only does it run a lot cooler than the reference designed AMD offering, but it's also a little quieter. To be cooler is great, but to be cooler while also being slightly quieter is just fantastic, and that's what makes this series so great.
Outside of the cooler, performance doesn't show us anything unusual with that small 10MHz overclock just making it overall ever so slightly faster than a reference card. Of course, the big advantage that this card gives you is the ability to overclock better thanks to the card running cooler at stock.
One of the more stand out features of the card is the inclusion of the Mini-DP to DP adapter. For a lot of people it won't matter, but if you're using a DisplayPort monitor, there's nothing more frustrating than buying a nice new card like the HD 6950 to then discover no Mini-DP to DP adapter is included. To date, MSI and Sapphire are the only two companies to include them and I'm seeing on forums that it's swaying people's decision on what brand to buy, because you want to know that when the card arrives you can use it straight away without the need to purchase a separate adapter.
Overall, though, the Twin Frozr II version of the HD 6950 from MSI is a fantastic model and a great addition to this much loved series. If you're looking for something that's going to run cooler and quieter, this is the card you should be looking for.
It will be interesting to see if MSI give the same treatment to a 1GB version, as that will really help push the value of the model even more north. For now, though, if you're keen on a 2GB HD 6950 that runs cool and quiet, as we said, this is the card you should be looking out for and at around the $300 mark the model carries great value considering that some reference cards carry with them a slightly higher price tag in some instances.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Blompkamp's 'Alien' sequel won't 'see the light of day'
- First look at how Musk's underground tunnels might work
- Overwatch is now home to over 30 million gamers
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- G1 Sniper 2 rev 1.0 wont boot with GtX 1070
- H97M Pro4 - Machine comes out of sleep mode when deactivated but monitor does not
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives