HD Tune Pro
HD Tune is a Hard Disk utility which has the following functions:
Benchmark: measures the performance
Info: shows detailed information
Health: checks the health status by using SMART
Error Scan: scans the surface for errors
HD Tune Pro gives us accurate read, write and access time results and for the last couple of years has been gaining popularity amongst reviewers. It is now considered a must have application for storage device testing.
Let's first take a look at the single drive (JBOD) performance of the two controllers. Both take advantage of SATA 6G and allow the Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB drive to break the 285MB/s limits of SATA 3G, but the Areca controller offers enough bandwidth for the drive to run all the way up to 343MB/s at peak sequential read speeds. The average speed was just shy of the maximum; 341.3MB/s.
The hardware XOR engine also allowed the Areca controller to scale all the way up to over 1000MB/s in both RAID 0 and 5. More importantly, the Areca managed to keep the highest and lowest measurements very close together, so you will have better than 1000MB/s of available bandwidth all the time.
The 1GB cache (upgradable to 4GB) allowed the single drive to burst at nearly 940MB/s, and it did so long enough to register on the maximum performance portion test. The average write speed of 221MB/s is spot on for a single 256GB C300.
The RAID 0 and RAID 5 tests showed good performance in the sequential write tests. By the time you finish a benchmark cycle the drives are pretty hammered since RAID doesn't pass along TRIM, and that is how we achieved a minimum write score of only 90.8MB/s in RAID 5. This was a very brief dip that kept reoccurring in the same spot.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Switch Pro controller can be used to play PC games
- Xbox One gets $10 EA Access-like subscription service
- The Xenomorph is unleashed in new 'Alien' trailer
- NVIDIA announces its new GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
- Bethesda optimizing games for AMD's Ryzen and Vega tech
- IPMI on E3C226D2I
- Site & Forum impressions
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Massive, Lightstorm and Fox Interactive team up for a game based on Avatar universe
- FutureMark reveals new VR and server benchmarking tools
- LG preparing VR HMD
- Dolby Laboratories and LG Electronics announce first smartphone to support Dolby Vision
- Meet the HUAWEI P10, a stunning combination of technology and art