One thing I like about the new Sandy Bridge CPUs (and more to the point, most new Intel CPUs) is how easy they are to overclock. On the P8P67 WS Revolution I was able to kick things into high gear with little more than a click. The Auto Tune feature ran for a few seconds, rebooted and within a few minutes we had a 4.7GHz OC including a 104MHz BCLK! - That all on its own was something that I had never expected.
Altering the BCLK was something that I had previously thought was not going to be possible. In fact, to this point all of our testing had failed with altered BCLKs. But the ASUS P8P67 WS was able to do it. I imagine that we will see more of this in the future as well.
In the end after tinkering, and of course in keeping with our single run requirement for our final overclock, we ended up with 104MHz x 46 for 4.787GHz.
AI Suite II
Along with a new BIOS, ASUS has a redesigned suite of tools to help the enthusiast get the most out of their motherboard. This is the AI Suite II. The UI has been revamped with ease of use and accessibility in mind. When you launch the tool it opens up a small bar with a group of buttons. The first one we have already talked about; this is the Auto Tuning option.
After that we get into the tools, these are items like the TurboV Evo software, Digi+ VRM and others.
After that we have the more traditional EPU software (with a new look) and a Windows based utility that will let you adjust the Fan settings (Think Q-Fan).
The Probe II page lets you setup monitoring for a variety of sensors on the board. Here you can either monitor it in real time or track this using the recording function.
ASUS also lets you customize this software to suit your tastes with some nice options available in the settings pages.
Overall, the new suite is nice looking, and pretty powerful. It is the type of thing you would expect on a much more expensive system, but here it is on a workstation board.
As all overclocking results are dependent on the hardware you use, your results may vary. Results of our overclocking tests are included in the performance section with the stock scores.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time of testing the motherboard. Due to time constraints we weren't able to tweak the motherboard to the absolute maximum and find the highest possible FSB, as this could take days to find properly. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking or as new BIOS updates are released. "Burn-in" time might also come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- Page 4 [The BIOS]
- Page 5 [Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup and Comments]
- Page 7 [Synthetic Tests - Part I]
- Page 8 [Synthetic Tests - Part II]
- Page 9 [Synthetic Tests - Part III]
- Page 10 [Real-World Tests - Part I]
- Page 11 [Real-World Tests Part II]
- Page 12 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD performance issues in Darksiders Warmastered fixed
- Microsoft testing Gears of War 4 PC, console crossplay
- Final Fantasy XV ships five million units in first day
- SSD costs expected to rise by 6-10% in early 2017
- Playdead drops Inside game demo free via Steam site
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ADATA SV620 480GB Portable SSD Review
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset
- Tesoro opens new product line with the release of its Zone Balance gaming chair