Before we take a look at our platform motherboard for our I845GE review, we will first have a look at the I845PE and GE together - first a bit of detail on the I845PE.
This is the successor to the I845E chipset, supporting the same AGP 4x AGP connection and ICH4, you may be forgiven for believing it is just an I845E. The I845PE has a new memory controller built in that is supposed to increase performance @ 266Mhz over the original I845E chipset as well as offer official DDR-333 support. With the enthusiasts in mind, it is set to be an overclockers dream on paper, with the only missing component being AGP 8x support.
The I845GE is the successor the I845G chipset. While the I845G did support unofficial DDR-333 memory dividers, the I845GE now gives you true DDR-333 memory options, so there is no need for motherboard manufacturers to skimp on this feature. Intel has also upgraded the graphics core on this chip from a 200Mhz core clock to 266Mhz with the option of up to 64MB of Dynamic Shared memory rather than the 48MB like originally supported by the I845G. While this will give the I845GE a boost over the I845G in terms of onboard graphics power, it is still not up to gamers standards, no onboard video at this stage is.
All in all the new chipsets are not all that "new" but rather things we should have seen long ago from Intel. With both SiS and VIA beating Intel to the punch with DDR-333 support, we'd expect more from an industry leader like Intel.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Intel I845GE - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Intel I845GE - Page 2 [The Chipsets]
- Intel I845GE - Page 3 [Test Board]
- Intel I845GE - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra]
- Intel I845GE - Page 5 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- Intel I845GE - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Synthetic Benchmarks]
- Intel I845GE - Page 7 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Intel I845GE - Page 8 [Benchmarks - D3D]
- Intel I845GE - Page 9 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SpaceX successfully lands another Falcon 9 rocket
- Nintendo Switch teardown teases massive 4310mAh battery
- Mass Effect Andromeda's latest gameplay video is here
- MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, a very slick mobo for Ryzen
- AMD Ryzen 5 1600X costs $260, offers Intel perf. at $617
- Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming G1 M.2 SSD Supported?
- Asus PRIME B250-PLUS Integated Graphics issue
- Looking for help overclocking a GA-EP43-UD3L
- I5 6600k OC settings.. aorus z270
- ASUS K55VM (LAPTOP A55VM) can't control fan speed for myself
- ASUS announces VivoMini VC66R and VC66
- BIOSTAR RACING Series motherboard lineup for AMD RYZEN announced
- Team Group officially announces the T-FORCE DARK series memory module with ASUS ROG Certified
- MSI announces Aero ITX series graphics cards
- ASUS Republic of Gamers announces Strix Impact