Before we take a look at our platform motherboard for our I845GE review, we will first have a look at the I845PE and GE together - first a bit of detail on the I845PE.
This is the successor to the I845E chipset, supporting the same AGP 4x AGP connection and ICH4, you may be forgiven for believing it is just an I845E. The I845PE has a new memory controller built in that is supposed to increase performance @ 266Mhz over the original I845E chipset as well as offer official DDR-333 support. With the enthusiasts in mind, it is set to be an overclockers dream on paper, with the only missing component being AGP 8x support.
The I845GE is the successor the I845G chipset. While the I845G did support unofficial DDR-333 memory dividers, the I845GE now gives you true DDR-333 memory options, so there is no need for motherboard manufacturers to skimp on this feature. Intel has also upgraded the graphics core on this chip from a 200Mhz core clock to 266Mhz with the option of up to 64MB of Dynamic Shared memory rather than the 48MB like originally supported by the I845G. While this will give the I845GE a boost over the I845G in terms of onboard graphics power, it is still not up to gamers standards, no onboard video at this stage is.
All in all the new chipsets are not all that "new" but rather things we should have seen long ago from Intel. With both SiS and VIA beating Intel to the punch with DDR-333 support, we'd expect more from an industry leader like Intel.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Intel I845GE - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Intel I845GE - Page 2 [The Chipsets]
- Intel I845GE - Page 3 [Test Board]
- Intel I845GE - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra]
- Intel I845GE - Page 5 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- Intel I845GE - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Synthetic Benchmarks]
- Intel I845GE - Page 7 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Intel I845GE - Page 8 [Benchmarks - D3D]
- Intel I845GE - Page 9 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Faraday Future keeps teasing their upcoming electric car
- Qualcomm teases 48-core processor on 10nm process
- Watch Shigeru Miyamoto play Mario's theme song on guitar
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive update enhances audio
- BitFenix reveals new enthusiast Shogun PC case
- Asrock J3355M doesn't power on (mostly)
- ASUS Maximus Ranger not detecting my GPU
- x99 Taichi gets WHEA 17 errors and BSOD124
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- BIOSTAR announces new motherboard features
- ADATA releases updated SC660H and SV620H 3D NAND external SSDs
- BitFenix announces the Shogun chassis with ASUS Aura support
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD