There really is nothing new to talk about here. Well ok. there is the fact that both of these got a slight speed increase over what is currently available in their lines. The 975 BE gets pushed to 3.6GHz while the 840 gets a bump to 3.2. Overall, not a bad increase, but we do want to see if this is all marketing or if it really means better performance for the consumer.
Overclocking the Phenom II X4 975 BE was not all that hard. We simply tweaked the multiplier and also adjusted the core frequency a little bit (along with a small voltage bump) and we were off. The problem comes from the relatively low overclocks we are still getting.
On a 3.6GHz CPU we were unable to get over 4.2GHz that is only a bump of 600MHz. After the heydays of the Opteron and the Athlon 64 I am used to being able to get much more from AMD's CPU. However, since the introduction of the Phenom and Phenom II, this has simply not been the case.
Unfortunately we were not able to get to overclock the 840 as we ran up against a very frustrating issue with the Cat 10.12 drivers. However, we will be revisiting some AMD overclocking after CES is over with.
You can check out the validation link for the new Phenom II X4 975 BE here.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time of testing the motherboard. Due to time constraints we weren't able to tweak the motherboard to the absolute maximum and find the highest possible FSB, as this could take days to find properly. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking or as new BIOS updates are released. "Burn-in" time might also come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- LG announces 'Ray' smartphone for 3G markets
- Power two systems with one power supply thanks to Phanteks' splitter
- QPAD uses DreamHack to launch its first new mouse shape in seven years
- Noctua says its 24V industrial fans are the best an enthusiast can get
- Samsung announces huge 128GB DDR4 DIMMs for enterprise, data centers
- Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB Review
- North Bridge Frequency Locked at 4300 on Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 Board
- New SSD Connections and GA-Z87X-UD5H?
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 120L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- SanDisk Extreme 500 240GB USB 3.0 Portable SSD Review
- CYBERTRONPC OFFERS TESSERACT 15 SK NOTEBOOK, NOW WITH 6th GEN INTEL PROCESSOR AND WINDOWS 10
- HERE and the Netherlands evaluating 4G/LTE-based C-ITS road messaging system
- Sony PLAYSTATION 4 (PS4) SALES SURPASS 30.2 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE
- Samsung Starts Mass Producing Industry's First 128-GIGABYTE DDR4 Modules for Enterprise Servers
- LG RAY DELIVERS LARGE HD DISPLAY AND BEST-IN-CLASS CAMERAS FOR 3G MARKETS