There really is nothing new to talk about here. Well ok. there is the fact that both of these got a slight speed increase over what is currently available in their lines. The 975 BE gets pushed to 3.6GHz while the 840 gets a bump to 3.2. Overall, not a bad increase, but we do want to see if this is all marketing or if it really means better performance for the consumer.
Overclocking the Phenom II X4 975 BE was not all that hard. We simply tweaked the multiplier and also adjusted the core frequency a little bit (along with a small voltage bump) and we were off. The problem comes from the relatively low overclocks we are still getting.
On a 3.6GHz CPU we were unable to get over 4.2GHz that is only a bump of 600MHz. After the heydays of the Opteron and the Athlon 64 I am used to being able to get much more from AMD's CPU. However, since the introduction of the Phenom and Phenom II, this has simply not been the case.
Unfortunately we were not able to get to overclock the 840 as we ran up against a very frustrating issue with the Cat 10.12 drivers. However, we will be revisiting some AMD overclocking after CES is over with.
You can check out the validation link for the new Phenom II X4 975 BE here.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time of testing the motherboard. Due to time constraints we weren't able to tweak the motherboard to the absolute maximum and find the highest possible FSB, as this could take days to find properly. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking or as new BIOS updates are released. "Burn-in" time might also come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- ARCHOS unveils its Diamond Tab 4G/LTE tablet
- Impressive! 1 billion people used Facebook in just one day
- Valve is bundling Rocket League with the Steam Controller
- Acer is welcoming a takeover of the company after share prices tumble
- HTC will have a 'limited number' of Vive VR headsets this year
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- Win7 wont install on AM1A-M system
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20