Taking A Closer Look
- DDR Naming Scheme
A DDR memory module is given two names according to both its maximum transfer rate and speed. In the case of TwinMOS's DDR400, its two ratings are PC3200 and DDR400. PC3200 is the maximum transfer rate of the module, which in this case is 3.2GB/sec. On the other hand, DDR400 is the speed of the module in MHz, which in the case of DDR400 is 400MHz (200MHz DDR).
The effective bandwidth of the module is worked out by taking its speed rating (400) and multiplying it by 8. We multiply the speed rating by 8 because DDR modules are 8 bytes wide. So, the formula for TwinMOS DDR400 memory would be: 400 * 8 = 3200 or PC3200.
- The Module
As you can see, TwinMOS have not prettied up their module with any fancy heat spreaders or colored PCBs. Both of these do nothing to the modules' performance and if anything, increase its price. The module is single sided, meaning that memory chips have only been placed on one side of the module. In theory, this is said to be great for overclockers as there is a much less chance of stress induced errors.
TwinMOS have decided to go with Winbond BH-5 chips for their DDR400 modules. As mentioned in the specifications on the previous page, the chips are rated at 5.0ns and judging by reports from around the enthusiast community, these new memory chips should yield some very impressive overclocking results. Also of note is that the memory chips are arranged in an 8x32MB fashion.
Unfortunately, TwinMOS are not guaranteeing that you can run their DDR400 memory at a CAS Latency of 2, unlike Corsair. However, we had no problem running our module at 200MHz with a latency of 2 and there is no reason why anyone else shouldn't be able to either.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Acer shows off Chromebook R 11, a convertible Chromebook
- Vantage Robotics shows off Snap, a safe drone with a 4K camera
- Star Wars: Battlefront won't have server browsers on PC
- We are looking for a professional YouTuber for video content
- Digitize Photos, Important Files, and More in 8 Seconds
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SanDisk Connect Stick 64GB Wireless Flash Drive Review
- GA-EP45-UD3R doesn't boot with Dual Channel (After Clean PC)
- carvedilol 3.125 mg information. Purchase online.
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015