The Seagate BlackArmor 420
When it comes to the physical unit, all three 400 Series products are the same other than the drive configuration. On the front we found a power button at the bottom left, a USB 2.0 port on the bottom right and a system status LCD display at the top with two buttons for managing some of the basic functions.
Also on the front is a door with your drives behind it. The enclosure lists the drives by numbers and next to each number is a status LED. Below the drive status LEDs you will also find a system power and network LEDs that indicate power to the unit and network activity.
Looking at the system from the side, you can see that for the most part the BlackArmor is a box. The front cover comes out a little to make room for the display, but overall the system is the shape of a box.
Most of the magic happens at the rear of the system. Here you will find dual gigabit Ethernet ports and three USB 2.0 ports for printers, battery backup status and of course this is where the power brick plugs into.
Looking a little deeper, we also see the 120mm fan that keeps your drives and the enclosure's electronics cool. The system starts up with the fan at full speed which is kind of loud, but in the booting process the fan slows and remains quiet. In our testing with two and four drives the system was very quiet, even from just a couple of feet away.
The BlackArmor 420 comes with two drives filling two of the NAS' bays and two empty bays for future expansion. Here we see the toolless drive sleds that make it easy to install new drives and also work to dampen any disk vibrations that may occur if you have metal sleds.
Seagate's accessory package includes everything you need to get started. This package includes a single Ethernet cable, power brick, power cord, manuals for installation and warranty and finally a software disk that has your backup software and more detailed manuals on it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [The Packaging]
- Page 5 [The Seagate BlackArmor 420]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Content]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Oceanhorn hit record sales, teases Switch development
- New Plants Vs Zombies: Heroes launches on iOS & Android
- 30% discount with Nintendo's Europe Birthday Promotion
- Watch Metallica's themed gameplay trailer that failed
- Dead Rising 4 has 18 holes of mini golf to play through
- GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 Resume fail after suspend with Linux
- h61m-dgs gigabyte not see DDR_A1
- BSI3H-6100 long time to post
- Patriot Memory LX 200GB microSD Memory Card Review
- ASRock problem SB fan1
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now
- ENERMAX launches Revolution Duo power supply with DUOFlowTM design for active ventilation
- Razer unveils new Razer Blade Pro gaming notebook
- Nintendo Switch world premiere demonstrates new entertainment experiences from a home gaming system