Thermaltake has a nearly perfect product with the BlacX 5G. The accessory package is one of the best we've seen with the longer USB 3.0 cable being the standout and the drive covers being the first we've seen to combat drive acoustics. Thermaltake's brand name is also attached to the BlacX 5G, so we don't have any doubts about its long term use. The final piece to the physical puzzle is the transfer speeds associated with USB 3.0 and the BlacX 5G delivers on this front as well with very good USB 3.0 performance that matches the other USB 3.0 products we've tested.
The only real issue we found is the price. The BlacX 5G comes with more accessories and a longer cable, but the price also increases as well. Personally I would pay more for the BlacX 5G since it has a longer USB 3.0 cable. At some point you are going to pull your computer out from under your desk, but will you remember to disconnect the HDD dock with a short cable? - Most likely you will forget and the dock, possibly with a drive installed, will come crashing to the floor. If you have a mechanical drive installed then you can kiss it goodbye nine out of ten times.
When it comes down to making a purchasing decision, you might want to ask yourself just how absent minded you are and how often you will pull your computer out. It's difficult to imagine your purchasing decision coming down to this, but I speak these words from experience.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Thermaltake BlacX 5G]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI wants to put a GTX 1080 in its new VR PC backpack
- ZOTAC's GeForce GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme is a BEAST, and we love it
- MSI displays its new GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G at Computex 2016
- ASUS crams a pair of GTX 1080s into beastly ROG G31 Edition 10 PC
- ASUS teases the Ghost Rider custom PC at Computex 2016
- Z170 Extreme7+ Correct USB drivers Win10 x64
- Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 & 950 NVMe M.2 SSD question
- Problem entering bios on new build
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - Titan X Performance For Under $400
- Asrock 3-Way 2S2S SLI Bridge Card
- Patriot presents UHS-II capable EP PRO-II SDXC and microSDXC
- Patriot announces 2TB Ignite SSD
- Tt eSPORTS unveils the new Level 10 Advanced gaming mouse
- EVGA announces its GeForce GTX 1080 series
- Palit announces the GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock and Super JetStream