This memory and fan have made a new home in my daily use PC, and not just any old products get kept and used in my rig. That in itself should be enough to convince you of this whole setups awesomeness. Let me break this down a bit and cover why. First, there is the very attractive Ballistix Active Cooling Fan. While it lacks the flash of LEDs, it offers a sleek coating of black nickel to lead itself to being an attractive addition to any system. Then of course there is the memory. It is also attractive with the all black look and the newly designed spreaders. The MOD Utility just takes it that one level over the top for me. I test hardware a lot, and while I am gaming or benching, this gives me the ability to log the temperatures to go back and look at later, something the Corsair system didn't offer.
Going deeper than the obvious reasons to choose this system is that this kit was plug and play with my motherboard. Simply booting with the XMP profile was sufficient to get into Windows, stable. I overclocked and tinkered with the memory a bit, and while the testing was done at around 2200 MHz speeds, with the same timings and voltages I was able to run 2290 MHz. Of course, your results may vary, but I think I could get more out of this memory if I had a bit more time to play with it. As you saw with the images of the temperatures in various conditions, the BLACTIVECOOL Fan does a great job of bringing memory that was quite warm to the touch at near 50 degrees, and with the fan active, I couldn't break 37 degrees with any voltage of speeds.
if you don't want to shell out for new memory, I strongly recommend the adjustable height and superb looks of the Crucial Ballistix Active Cooling Fan. Not only will it offer great results in memory cooling, but it will also kill the huge dead zone left when I went to water cooling. Keep in mind, this fan is only going to set you back $23.99 via Newegg.com, and it is worth every penny. Not only is this fan more attractive than Corsair's, it delivers less noise into the chassis. If the lack of speed has been keeping you from picking Crucial for DDR3, I am here to tell you the 1600 MHz cap is gone, and I found the new Ballistix with the I2C chip very fun to tinker with and overclock, while offering great stock speeds and timings for those who run stock.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT25664FN2139 4GB PC3-17000]
- Page 4 [The Crucial Ballistix Active Cooling Fan Packaging]
- Page 5 [The BLACTIVECOOL Fan, Hardware and Assembly]
- Page 6 [Testing and the Ballistix MOD Utility]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlefield 1 beta will run for eight days
- Turn into a certified hacker with premium training
- Samsung begins shipping its Dolby Atmos soundbars
- PCIe 4.0 won't deliver 300W over the PCIe slot after all
- Ubisoft focuses on fixing The Division, delays DLC
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Performance Analysis
- Reeven Polariz RFC-04 Fan Controller Review
- Bootable RAID 0 via dual u.2 ports on x99 Designare EX
- Intel shows Merged Reality Technologies at IDF 2016
- Lenovo ThinkPad P70 Mobile Workstation Notebook Review
- ADATA launches the ultimate SU800SATA 6Gb/s 3D NAND SSD
- CAPE Audio shakes up the headphone industry with the release of Rebellion Headphones
- Tesoro announces ambidextrous, White Sharur SE Spectrum gaming mouse
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop
- Thermaltake new Pacific RGB G1/4 PETG Tube 16mm OD 12mm ID 6 liquid-cooling fittings with 1 RGB LED lighting controller